Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Day 65: September 14th, 2010 (Route: Hanover, VA to Weldon, NC)

Day 65: September 14th, 2010 (Route: Hanover, VA to Weldon, NC)

Technical Data:

Distance, miles: 107.89
Ride Time 7:03:37
Work, kJ: 4790
Average Power, watts: 185
Normalized Power, watts: 211
Average Speed, mph: 14.95

Forecast: I'm in the South, 92 degrees F wih the wind blowing out of the southwest at 10 mph, with gust up to 17+. I'm heading SW!

I did not want to wake up this morning! I just laid there in the tent next to the side of the busy 301, the cars causing noise, the construction crews causing noise, the dogs barking on the other side of the fence where I lay. I wasn't really sore or tired, I was just comfortable! If I had an alarm clock with me I would have hit the snooze button a dozen times for sure.

Crawling out of the tent I could tell it was going to be a great day! The early morning clouds were burning off and the first person to great me this morning with a huge smile, the Sherriff of the local county. He just asked how I slept and greeted me as this happens all the time, I'm starting to think it might! This little town is on the TransAm route so it very well could. Bill came out of the store and insisted I come and have some breakfast, I thought this guy has provided enough all ready! But I didn't want to be rude so I followed him into the store. He gave me some OJ and a Sausage Biscuit along with the use of the facilities to freshen up. I will remember this place for the rest of my days! Kelley's Country Store - more like a museum to be honest! With more antiques then I could possible think of jammed into this little shop, it has more character then any place or person I have ever met! I could spend all day looking over the collectibles! From Smurf Tops (that you spin), snow skies, empty cigar tubes, cigerrette memorbila, to old soap, old weaties boxes, rocking chairs, high chairs, grocery carts, pictures everywhere. This place is a treasure for sure!

Thoughts came to mind what my place will look like down the line, I'm pretty sure I'll be a minimalist, however this place sure had class! After eating breakfast I headed out to put all my things into BoB's belly and get ready for the day, then I returned to the store to clean up and grab a shave! Nothing like a fresh shave while on the road, I don't like the bread look that much anymore and to be honest its hot here, it was 90+ degrees today. After cleaning up I heading out to finish tidying up and along comes Bill again. He insist I take some snacks with me and ask me if I have any spending cash while we head back into the store. Filling a brown sack with 2 apples, 2 packages of crackers, slice of cake, package of zingers and some pretzels he hands me $40 dollars. I said I can't accept this you have provided way too much as it is, then he said well then just take $20 so I did not to be rude. Talk about Southern Hospitality!!!

The store has been there for 42 years I found out and the gal working there with the Kelley's has been there I think 24 of them. What a treat to work with them for that long. I really think if it came down to it Bill would have given me the shirt off his back if he needed too. What a blessing it was to stay in Hanover, VA last night and meet Bill! If anyone is ever in this area I do recommend you stop, fill up the tank, and go into Kelley's Country Store and get some lunch and pick up some snacks as Bill is a wonderful soul to just be around!!!

Rolling out of Hanover I think about the generosity I had just experienced, spawing thoughts about what I would like to be when I age and the characteristics I would like to have. I have met so many people on this trip, all making me think about the characterstics of each and everyone of them. Piecing together traits from so many people I think I could create a very splendid individual! Being in the South is nice, hot but extremely nice. You can't go down the block without someone greeting you with the warmest smile!

Before I pushed off I noticed the back tire was a bit low, so I added some air and thought I must have a slow leak, not really wanting to change it I just added more air throughout the ride to ensure it would get me where I wanted to go today. The goal today was to head straight south and get into North Carolina. The ride would be close to 95 to the VA/NC border. With this being the goal it would leave close to 100 miles or so for the trip tomorrow into Raleigh where my Uncle resides. Down the 301 now with a lot of stop and go traffic, I'm feeling pretty good for as little I ate the night before.

I blew right through Richmond, Colonial Hieghts, and Petersburg. I could tell I was in the South as the homes have changed from victorian to colonial and its HOT! Its going to take a couple weeks to get used to this heat. I told myself leaving the country store that food is necessary today, however water is a must!!! I stopped close to 10 times today seeking ice water. Due to the recession it appears this poverty stricken area is hurting even worse as you see signs of it, for instance charging me for ice when I don't even need a cup and insisting I pay something! I was pretty surprised even when I went into a filling station to get water and they mentioned even if I get it out of the bath that they would charge me. I was thinking something is definitely wrong with this picture!

So much history on this side of the country with signs every where about this gentlemen was born here, this battle happened there, and so on! If I had a better memory right now I would add the names and places, however I just finished up another 107 mile day and I'm a little tired, and to boot, its extremely hot in this tent and the mosquitoes outside are not better so I think I'll deal with the heat versus getting eatan alive while I type this.

Rides was good, small shoulder coming down the 301 however high quality roads to ride on. In and out of thoughts all day, from what I'm going to do when I get to the next chapter of my life, to what my friends are doing, to if I'll race again, what my nieces are doing, what my uncles place is going to be like tomorrow, to will I need a new bike when all of this is over. Speaking of that, if anyone wants to start taking donations to purchase me a new road bike, feel free to do so! I ride a 58 cm and would prefer a new Trek Madone or Orbea if at all possible, with American Classic racing wheels (These wheels because I met the owner of the company in Florida when I lived there) with a PT in the rear hub and Sram Red components. I know I'm asking a lot but a guy can dream right!

Tons of thoughts today and the mind was pretty clear, no dark places today which is always good. I thought of the gal in Oregon a little and what she's up to but nothing really to deep today. So many thoughts! I also have decided that once I depart my Uncles I will head back up to Yorktown to complete the TransAm from Start to finish combining the two legs, if the weather holds I might add on, however I did get the feeling today that I'm ready to start another chapter in my life. Today is day 65 and I'm enjoying it, however I keep thinking about what I'm missing out on, then I pause and think about how I'm on the road and this may be a once in a lifetime adventure! Live it up!!!

After thinking this I continue to roll down the road and those passing must think I'm crazy, I'm singing outloud and really enjoying myself! What a day, the suns out, its hot and pushing into a nice head wind! Does it get any better??? I'm sure it does, I could have a 65 degree day with a tail wind, or I could be in the presence of a beautiful women dancing my legs off, or at a ball game with friends watching the Pirates win the world series (okay - I might have to wait a century for that to happen). All an all the day was a great day becuase I chose to make it so, I could have been pissed at the truck that all most took me out a few miles back, or the grandma that honked, then passed and her grandkid flipped me off. I had to think about all the class in that car for a moment, then I shook it off and road on.

Its up to me and us to determine the outlook of our days! I have a really great friend that reminds me not to wish away my days and this helps to put things into perspective! I just met a friend that mentioned this the other day, that she becomes victem of destructive thoughts as I do sometimes. I would like to let her know if she ever reads this, that when those thoughts come, you give me a call and we'll chat! Taken from from one friend as a gift to give to another I say "Don't allow these thoughts to take away from your days, just as the thought of wishing them away" We are not our thoughts, we can be controlled by them and live in the emotion they provide and its good and bad, all depending on how you look at it. Today I chose to make a positive decision when all those bad things brought negative/destructive thoughts to my mind, however I won the battle today and I'm very thankful I did.

One water stop to another, I cruise on down the road. Not much to see on the first 75 miles of this stretch, lots of open country with trees again lining the highway! Awe a farm, so nice to see a farm with some open country, cotten farm to be exact! So much cotton along this stretch, from fresh plants to plants ready for harvest (see photos in FB). It was great to see the cotton farms of the south and to see all the different growth stages too, what a treat! Heading on south I continue to fill bottles and use the facilities with very little human interaction. I did meet a nice lady name Melby (sp) I think was her name and she asked me how many miles I was riding today and where I was headed et cetera. She was so nice, just like most all the people I have met down here in the South!

7 miles till I hit Garysburg, NC where I plan on staying for the. Not knowing what's there, or how big I'm really winging this trip down to see my Uncle. True its close to 600+ miles off the TransAm, however I'll back track and ride it home with no worries! I thought since I was out here, why not head down to see him. I haven't seen them since a trip to Arkansas a few years back. I arrive into to Garysburg, NC and its a pretty poverty stricken place, what appear to be homeless outside the convienent store I smile and nod or wave, can't recall which. I go into the store and no water, I'm thinking, what place doesn't have running water? Out of the store I go to talk with a friendly gentlemen that mentions there is water across the street at the Dollar Store. I think about it for a while, then decide to push on to the next small town of Weldon, NC as I'm sure to find a place with water and ice! Hopefully they won't charge me this time around.

Heading into to Weldon I do find a place, however 15 cents for ice, I figure they got a deal! Its 5PM and I'm thirsty and just water isn't going to cut it, I want some ice! Again, I will never take for granted the simple little thing as ice. I guess in the South its a commodity, given the 100 degree days they see on a normal basis in the summer. I got lucky though as the first Northerner has already hit this part of the country making it 65 degrees last week, so 90 is a treat to the locals compared to the 100s they have been experiencing all summer long.

Now to find a place to crash! After talking to a few locals, that appear to know as little as possible about the area I score a place right behind a convenient store, not where I would have thought, however its out of sight and on the route to Raleigh so its perfect in my eyes! Water, bathroom, and food if I want it! I sit here now, sweating because the temperature has only fallen a few degrees in my tent escaping the mosquitoes that attacked me when I was setting up my tent. it's now 9:10PM (Eastern) and I hope to get up early and make my way down to my Uncle's by mid afternoon, so this means I need to be on the road early which I'm going to enjoy! It will keep me out of the heat of the South! Now to try to get to sleep while lying in a pile of filthy sweat after a long day in the sun...

No comments: