Thursday, October 7, 2010

Day 85: October 5th, 2010 (Route: Whitesburg, KY to Booneville, KY)

Day 85: October 5th, 2010 (Route: Whitesburg, KY to Booneville, KY)

Technical Data:

Distance, miles: 85.23
Ride Time 6:12:53
Work, kJ: 3726
Average Power, watts: 165
Normalized Power, watts: 208
Average Speed, mph: 12.65

Forecast: Partly Cloudy, highs 55 with wind out of the NW at 10-15 mph

Last night I slept on the stage in this little park in Whitesburg, KY. Surrounding this little park is a small track, (5 times around for a mile) and people were using it at all times of I was there. When I rolled into the park, people were walking and running, I didn't really care, this was the place I was going to lay my head for the night. Having done 90 miles in the hills of VA and KY I wasn't pedaling any further. The leg was feeling it a little, however over all it is feeling stronger, I can tell though the body is need for some rest!

When I mean all times, there was this kid running laps at 10:30PM, I closed my eyes for bed at 8:30PM only to wake to the slapping of sneakers to pavement a couple hours later. I don't even think this kid knew I was there which was a kick, I woke and really couldn't get back to sleep so I just laid there thinking, looking at the ceiling of this stage. The stage was great for sleeping, it was close to 20 feet deep, covered and great for blocking the wind. I didn't bother setting up my tent as there was no need, I actually got hot later that night as I was wearing my rain jacket to make sure I was warm. It was supposed to get down to 40 so I wanted to plan ahead, with no wind all I really needed were the clothes I had on and my sheet/blanket.

Waking this morning was tough, no motivation, I took one look at the bike and thought I can ride today, then I took one look at the sky and thought, can this really be happening? The sky was dark, it wasn't raining yet but the smell was in the air. I just laid there, then a guy started to walk the track, he didn't see me until 6-7 laps around the track, then another couple and another. I thought, okay its time to get up and get out of here! I even text Sean this morning for a quick coaching pep text, it worked and I was up and off!

30 miles to Hazard, KY. Okay, "Hazard" for a name of a town has got to be one of the most unique names I have run across, however if you ever take the time to look at some of the names of places you will be surprised, I know I was! Not looking forward to the ride today, I wasn't really looking forward to battling coal trucks, yes I am in coal mining country! It's beautiful here, however the small shoulders doesn't make for safe travels. I sure wish I wouldn't have miss my turn yesterday. I have to play the hand that was dealt to me though, so I pedal on. If I had to classify today, it would be "Ride the Rumble Strip Day"...With a name like thay I don't think anyone would sign up for a ride like that, I sure wouln't! I rode 30 miles on a foot wide shoulder and rumble strips and it sucked! Considering I was so focused on riding today, the thoughts were held at bay. This wasn't my best move on the trip so far, I should have cut over and grabbed a side road, however that's not easy to do in mining country. The grids out here are not set up like Kansas, for those that know Kansas if you want to go North and miss a turn there is a road just a few miles down that goes, goes well North of course, nice to have all that flat open country to just lay a road where you want, not subjected to terrain.

I survive the 30 mile stretch from Whitesburg, KY and I'm very Thankful I made it. I make it to Hazard where I plan on stopping at a library and updating the last couple days blog entrys when I pull up to the library, sign reads. "Closed till further notice, water problems", I think are you serious, I ride 6000+ miles to see your library and its closed. Okay, that not true, but I really did want to update my blog and shoot off a few emails. What a bummer this was today, so I get back on the road, heading to Booneville, KY. I jump onto highway 28 and have another 50+ miles to go and the real climbing starts. I can tell the bottom bracket of the rig is about to go as its crackling every time I get out of the saddle, I've had this before so I'm pretty sure that's what the sound is. Up one hill, up another, and another, and another! Along with the rumble strips, today is about climbing the terrain here in Eastern, KY. I'm loving it, I just wish my bike was solid and the sound was gone!

The trees have still not turned, there are signs that they ready to however I think they may be waiting for that first freeze of the season, then I'll know they will turn. I might not be out here then thought, I have ~800-900 miles left and I'm not going to wait for the foilage, to be honest, I'm getting tired of freezing when I'm on the bike in the morning and descending without leg warmers is getting old, okay not really but I am a little sensitive to the colder climates. I really like to ride in the warm weather, but I'm playing the cards I was dealt with this trip and making the best of it. Really its like an ice bath when I'm riding, the first 5-10 minutes is cold, then everything goes numb and I can't feel much of anything so I just keep riding, the legs and core stay warm because I'm exercising making for a pretty enjoyable ride after the weather warms to above 50 - wonder what its going to be like when its 70's over the upcoming weekend?

I continue to ride, tired and ready for some shut eye, I roll into Booneville, KY drained and ready to sleep! I would write more, however after 5 days straight at 85+ a day I'm feeling like sleep and food are much more important then writing tonight. I plan on making it to Louisville in the next couple of days where I will take 1 if not 2 days off and enjoy the city, then make my final push to the Midwest final destination.

To sleep I go, this picnic table is going to be so comfortable...

No comments: