Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day 97 REST DAY (@ AL's Place)

The last couple of days I have taken off from writing, mainly because I wanted to take in the last couple of days of my journey to just soak it in. The feelings have been bitter/sweet! I'm close to 3-4 days left on this chapter in my life and the emotions, feelings, thoughts have been all over the place! I hope to finish on day 100...

Today I sit at Al's Place in Farmington, MO a Host site for the Tour de Missouri where a few locals put together the funds to create a cycling hostel in the area for racers and Trans Am tourist. Its a pretty plush hostel, wifi, cable, showers, laundry services, all within walking distance of resturants and a discount store if you need anything. Farmington is located in the Eastern part of Missouri a few hours south of St. Louis, about 300 miles away from where I started!

I rolled into Farmington with Dakota, an adventurous soul searching for the ins/outs of where the food comes from that she consumes. She is spending weeks volunteering at farms across the country, and from conversation learning a lot. She was raised in Alaska, and having spent a few days in conversation it was nice to learn about Alaska and the youthful views she shared. So good to have friends younger and older as it keeps a wide perspective on things.

Many may think why I took a couple days off from writing, well to be completely honest I lost a little drive in writing the last couple of weeks because the end nears and I don't want it to end! I return to a blank slate, a slate where I will have to start painting over again the life I want, this brings with it feelings of the unknown, of being scared, of curiousity, so many things running through the mind on this subject. Do I stay in the Midwest, do I moved out East or West. So many questions to think about in the next couple of days before I return home. I wish I new whether or not I was in school all ready so I don't have to wait another year!

I'm in need of a new left shifter for my bike, it went out a couple days ago! So I'll be riding in with no large gear, which is okay as the Ozarks are hilly, however I sure would like to have a large ring on this section to switch things up! With 300 miles to go I'll have to bear it and enjoy it, not sure when I'll have the time to do this again...

I will be taking donations for a "New" bike if anyone would like to make a donation to my new bike fund. The bike I have completed this journey on is 10 years old and has been my rain bike for training, however its time to start saving for a new road bike to race on next season!

Other thoughts that have been going through the mind on this rest day is that of racing RAMM next year if I can get a qualifier in. I keep thinking about shutting down the physical pursuits and heading into school, however without knowing if I'm in its tough to focus 100% on that path. We will have to see where everything goes once I get back, still have to spend the rest of the year writing and reflecting on this journey I have just undertook. So many thoughts so many options.

Conversation over the last couple of days was great. Questions of pursuing the peace corp, school, physical pursuits, or even just getting back to work. Traveling with someone for the last couple of days was nice, having someone to talk to was a bonus as I have been traveling 95% by my self on this trip, add the next couple of days and it will be 97% of the journey which is a lot of time alone to think, reflect on life and to just sit in my thoughts! Bouncing ideas off of someone is something I will need in the future and this I know, so I think once I get back I'll try my best to get the applications ready for submittal though I have just a few days to meet a few deadlines for schools I would like to attend. I would really like to attend Duke U. out in Durham given the opportunity. This means I need to take some classes come the spring time, which I'm looking forward too. Maybe I can take classes in the Spring, save some money and do this again next summer before school starts. Maybe, you just never know!

I wish I had captured some of the thoughts over the last couple of days, however I have no regrets on taking a few days off from writing, the more I think about it, it has been over three months of "Pedaling & Writing" so I think I have done a pretty good job of capturing the majority of the adventure! (Giving me great work to write a book with when I return to the destination I will write it!)

All kinds of questions come to mind when I think about returning to whereever I end up? Will I stay in Tulsa, go to Colorado, or head to the East or West coast? I'll have to figure this out soon as I'm going to be wrapping this trip up this week. Pretty emotional as I will have accomplished something out of the ordinary to a lot, however here on the road its normal to those I come across! I have traveled a lot of miles by pedal power which I love to do, however with both a small and large ring! lol

So where is life heading?????

I have figured out a lot on this trip, however all the unknown future of mine is a little scarey! Will I have the time to enjoy life once out of school or will my life be so busy I won't be able to pen like I have the last three months. So many things to think about, so many...

I'm sitting here delaying my departure trying to get as much text in while I clean Al's place, I'm probably going a little over board on the cleaning however this place is so clean I want to make sure I leave it like I found it!

No comments: