Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 98: October 19th, 2010 (Route: Farmington, MO to Roadside camping Spot, MO)

Day 98: October 19th, 2010 (Route: Farmington, MO to Roadside camping Spot, MO)

Technical Data

Distance, miles: 101.96
Ride Time 7:11:29
Work, kJ: 4637
Average speed, mph: 14.11
Average Power, watts: 128
Normalized Power, watts: 225

Forecast: Sunny and in the 70's with a West wind 5-10 mph...

Woke early at Al's place in Farmington, MO and started to clean, this place is so nice I didn't want to leave a trace that I was here. So I swept the floors, did the laundry, cleaned the bathrooms and straightened up as much as I could before I left. Before leaving I sat down and tried to get caught up on all the blog post I had neglected over the last four days. Traveling with someone doesn't leave that much time for blogging, which was nice, it was sad to see Dakota go even though we only traveled together for a couple of days. I think that traveling all alone for the 95% of the trip is starting to get to me. Eating alone last night was tough and I hope not to have to do that much more in my life, however I'm sure it will happen.

After writing for a little bit I put together my rig that I stored downstairs in the bike area, filled bottles, loaded the wet/dry bag and changed. I started my ride later than expected, around 10:30 or so. I figured this would allow plenty of time to get to my final destination for the day, which I was planning on Summersville, MO. Riding out of town I stopped and checked the highways I would be traveling and blasted my way south. Rolled through a couple of small towns, Doe Run was the first little one I ran into and all the others became a blur as I traveled. The weather was great, the traffic low and the hills were in abundance! The Ozarks are known for there up and down continues hills and let me tell ya it was a lot of work today!

Riding without my left shifter really sucks to be honest, there were some flats today that I really wanted to push the pace as I was feeling great! With the legs feeling strong I continued to ride, trying to stick to the map as close as possible, I did get off my planned route, however not that far. I ended up climbing and descending and doing it all over again, and again, and again! The trees are specatular, the reds, yellows, oranges, purples, browns all contrasting nicely with the light blue sky! I stop to just take in the scenery today and enjoy every minute of it. Have you ever just watch a single leaf fall to the ground, tumbling with the force of gravity to touch the earth. Some tumble in balance, flipping over and over while others float as if carrying some delicate cargo. Riding today is somethign I will cherish for many years to come, the winding of the roads, the smoothness, the steep grades, the fast descents, I will remember today as if it were my last, though I have a few more to go!

Stopping for water I pick up some .49 cent crackers and down a few bananas I had left from the day before. Fueling not as good as I would like today, however I'm fresh and the legs are feeling great I continue to push on. The sun is falling out of the cloud filled sky now and I'm thinking am I going to make it? The mind is going to race mode now, thinking I have to make it, unknowning on how far I have traveled, as I forgot to reset my computer I keep thinking just ride until it gets dark then pitch the tent on the side of the road. Through Ellington where I stopped at the grocery to use the facilities, refill water, and grab some more bananas for the road. Thinking I better make this quick I roll out of Ellington with 27 miles to the next town Eminence, and another 19 miles to Summersville where I really wanted to get. The nexst 27 miles are tough, with lots of climbing, cross a couple of rivers and really fighting for the days mileage. With my normalized power being 225 today I know I worked my tail off and from my RPE I can tell you I did, it was a great day of riding for sure! Once into Eminence I thought 19 more miles I can make it, the sun was about an inch or two above the horizen so I pressed on. I got another 5 miles before I decided to shut it down.

I shut it down unknowning of the distance traveled and in a mood of not wanting to quit, I sure do wish somedays I had lights to ride at night, however I made the right decision. Riding at night on these winding hilly roads is not the smartest of all ideas so I made the decision to ride it tomorrow. I still was able to get close to 102 miles in today in this rolling terrain so that's not a bad day. It was a lot of work and well worth it too, as I am now two days out from my brothers house where I will get to spend the rest of the week and enjoy my nieces birthday party and all in all, just relax and start thinking about plugging myself back into society...

No comments: