Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day 91: October 11th, 2010 (Route: Louisville, KY to Hogdenville, KY)

Day 91: October 11th, 2010 (Route: Louisville, KY to Hogdenville, KY)

Technical Data
Distance, miles: 64.77
Ride Time 4:36:16
Work, kJ: 2669
Average Power, watts: 158
Normalized Power, watts: 189
Average Speed, mph: 13.79

Forecast - One of the most beautiful days yet! 85 and sunny with west wind 5-10 mph...

The last couple days have been wonderful! Kirk Kandle a friend of mine that I met on the TranAm in Oregon took wonderful care of me this weekend! Fed me, gave me a place to crash, a hot shower, a cool dog to play with Miya, and the works! Hanging out with him and Sarah over the weekend in Louisville was well worth the 80+ miles round trip off route to get there! So many great things happened over the three days I was there I'll have to write up a post when I have the time about my time off. All I can say is that Kirk knows how to host!!! Thank you my good friend for everything and I look forward to catching up soon...

I departed Kirk's place around 11AM this morning, I decided to depart late becuase I was only planning on traveling 65 or so miles to Hogdenville, KY where I have access to the Larue Country Park behind the middle school which I figured would take a little over four hours to get there. Heading out of Kirk's place the temperature was perfect for riding, not to hot and not to cold. The sun was shining bright but tucked behind a small thin layer of clouds that you could barely notice however it made for a nice warm feeling without the intense UV rays that one might feel without cloud cover. I rolled down Payne street where I hooked up with Bardstown road which I planned on taking all the way to Hogdenville. No turns today, just a straight shot all the way, however I did have to turn in Bardstown, KY as the road meandered to the west. Riding through Louisville I took it all in, all the bike shops (4 on this street within a couple miles) the restaurants, coffee shops, and all the local shops (so many of these). I really like the city of Louisville as its layed out nicely for commuting and the traffic is really great I think!

Heading South on Bardstown I pull up to a light and an orage VW (old one) pulls up next to me. The guy driving mention he really likes my trailer, we exchange a little conversation before the light changes about my travels and him wanting to get back into cycling, he thought it really cool I was lugging all that gear behind me! I continue south passing underneath a couple major highways and dealing with a fair bit of traffic when I finally ride out of the city, the ride from Kirk's to the edge of the city was great, wide four/six lane road then once out of the city it turns to a two lane with really no shoulder, I didn't really care as I'm extremely careful when riding these roads. I pretty much ride the white line, when climbing hills I stall out my pedal stroke to allow for cars to pass and really take all the necessary precautions one would take when riding on the highway. Kirk and I talked a lot about this when I as in Louisville, the fact that many don't ride in the road or at all because of fear of drivers. The facts of the matter are though, when your riding in the road you are a car, I best is to allow yourself room to manage traffic if they dare buzz you, meaning don't ride on the curb, I don't like hugging the curb becuase its just not safe. I typically ride in the passenger tire ware mark on a four lane road if not the middle of the right hand lane. If its one a two lane road I'll ride close to the curb but not too close, I want to feel comfortable with the road and riding directly on the curb is just not safe.

Heading out of Mt. Washington I navigate the rolling terrain with no problem, I'm feeling extremely strong today, I should after a couple days of rest and great food! The thoughts are really silent today as I'm really just enjoying the ride, the mind is engaged in pedaling and thinking about making it under 4.5 hours today. The wind might have something to say about that though as I have kind of a southwest wind today. I like it as its warmer then the wind I had last week and much more enjoyable to ride in!

I enjoy the fall foliage as its turning and this is what I've been waiting for! It's breath taking, I had to stop and take a couple photos today on the road and I think it was well worth it. The leaves appear redish orange with this neaon glow to them when the light hits them, so beautiful. This is what reminds me of Louisville back in 2008 when I first experienced a fall/autumn like this. I know this is why I love Louisville so much, not to mention all its culture, friendly southern hospitible people, and don't forget the "Pie Kitchen", along with so many other great things I love! For those of you that have never been to Louisville, I recommend going and make sure you have plenty of time to visit the Louisville Slugger Museum, Mahammod Ali Museaum, Locus Grove, Falls of the Ohio, Art Museums, Church Hill Downs, 4th Street Live, and so many other great attractions. I know my favorite though and that's the "Pie Kitchen" - this place will please any sweet tooth! If you have time to make it out to Hubers (sp) Winery in Souther Indiana I recommend it as well - especially in the fall to pick fresh apples, pumpkins, along with tasting that fresh apple cider...

Hitting Bardstown I refill my bottles and continue on, I would have filled my bottles five miles before Bardstown, however the guy wanted to charge me for ice and I was in the mood to pay for ice even though I found 30 cents on the pavement at stop lights today! (Feeling rich!) I continue south with only a 20 miles or so to go, still feeling strong I'm thinking about what it is I'll do once to the sight tonight, in work mode today, thinking short day before a couple long days. I hope to be out of KY and IL by Thursday of this week and in MO, ready to finish off the remaining miles. All depends on how I'm feeling and if I'm doing the right things. I failed to eat on the bike all day today, just really wasn't hungry so I downed as much water as I could though as I didn't want to dehydrate. The energy levels never fell off the table for the entire ride which was awesome, I didn't push it today at all just rode nice and steady!

When I was in Bardstown today I took off my jersey and just rode in my bibs today, I haven't done this on the trip at all, however I wanted to get some sun today. It felt so good to just ride and enjoy the sunshine beating down on me, I figured a coupe hours of sun on my pale white body would be good source of vitamin D that I often crave on this trip and to be honest I need to start evening out the cycling tan I have, after 90 days on the road I have a killer tan!

Once into Hogdenville I stop at the library, refill bottels and head to the park. I get to the park around 4:30PM and make up some dinner, take a quick nap and really just start feeling tired and sluggish. I know its from not eating on the bike today, however I really didn't think about it while riding today, I was just riding. Mind goes into a little down place, pretty cranky so I know I need to get some food in me. Took a short walk, maybe close to two miles or so for some bananas and yogurt which hit the spot, then I walked back and started typing. Now its time for bed!

O' one last thing - after I downed the 32 oz of yogurt and 4 bananas I saw the brightest shootign star I have ever seen in my life! What a sight it was, it took my mind right back to normal!!!

No comments: