Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 99: October 20th, 2010 (Route: Roadside Camping to Marshfield, MO)

Day 99: October 20th, 2010 (Route: Roadside Camping to Marshfield, MO)

Technical Data

Distance, miles: 105.4
Ride Time 8:04:36
Work, kJ: 4151
Average Speed, mph: 12.93
Average Power, watts: 142
Normalized Power, watts: 181

Forecast - Cloudy and in the 60's with winds out of the North to NorthEast

As I wake from the picnic table on the roadside this morning I sit and watch the leaves fall, take in a fresh breat of fall air and think about my journey. Do I want this to end, does it have to end? I know that for doors to open one has to close, though I lay here thinking about the work ahead of me today I just be...

Being in the moment is something I don't think I have written about over the last couple of weeks, however this morning all the stress is at bay and I'm about to take on another 100 mile day. So much work when using the small chain ring, however its well worth it!

I start packing up and notice a couple middle age women out for a walk near the creek I slept next too, what a way to start the day. To wake, call a friend, and go for a walk in the beautiful ozarks in the cool fall temperatures. The trees are wonderful, dropping the most precious gifts that humans over look on a daily basis, leaves provide oxygen for us to live our lives. It is said that 1 acre of trees provides enough oxygen for 18 people on daily basis. AS the leaves fall I give tribute to the work they have provided over the summer months on working so hard in keeping us alive, now to the fall where the trees will help replenish nutrients to the earth we walk on. I think this is one of the many reasons I love the forest, the trees in our local parks, and even those rare trees that lie in the middle of the crop fields I have passed on this trip. I think I could go on and on about the trees out there, I mean think about it. Take the time and think about how many uses we have for trees, and not to be "Thankful" for them would be silly.

I think about so many that use the term "Tree Hugger" in a negative way, if you can't think of 50 ways for the use of Trees you need to read "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. The book is well within everyone's reading ability and as one of my favorite author's I love to read this on occasion just to bring me back to reality. As I travel I have seen so many mills on this journey which makes me think of this book and how many things trees provide for us. Okay, I need to back up...

So I pack up and I'm hungry, without eating dinner last night I have a hunger that I haven't had for a while. Heading out I climb and what a way to start your day, I thought the gals walking along the creek was something, try climbing out of the Ozarks for a warmup of a hundred mile ride. Gotta love it!!!

I hit the top of the hill and my energy levels are low, I figure because its the lack of planning my nutrition last night and thinking about the end of my trip. So close, yet a couple hundred miles away. I continue to ride and hit up the next town to fill my bottles with ice water, I ask around about a small cafe' in town for some breakfast and the ladies at the store point me to the "The Moose Cafe" to the South and up this hill, I figure what the heck, I won't make it if I don't fuel myself. This would be like trying to cover a 300 mile drive with no fuel in the tank, its just not going to happen!

After telling my story to many locals, I down some pancakes, eggs, and hashbrowns and then hit the road. Leaving the diner feeling full I slug along in my small chain ring. Not feeling like I have any energy I just push along. The mind is struggling today, the energy appears to be there, however the drive is exactly the opposite. Mind is looking to the reward if I get the mileage in today, a short ride tomorrow and all finished. Crazy to think about what I'll be doing once I'm off my bike, I think the goal is to make some money and fix what I need repaired and purchase a new sleeping pad and sleeping bag. The sleeping pad that I have been using since I left needs repaired, however about half way through the trip it just needs to be thrown out. I've been sleeping on the ground for about 60 days now without any air underneath me and its time to break down and purchase a new one, I figure this one being 10 years old is seen its days so I'm not feeling bad for having to replace it.

Near home now, the terrain is starting to look like SouthEast Kansas where I grew up, the farms, the open country, so beautiful! Even the smells take me back to my childhood. I like the fact that I'll be riding back to close where I grew up versus finishing on the coast and having to catch a ride back via a plane, train, or bus! Nothing like where you grew up...

I ride and really didn't want to get off the bike so I continue to ride along highway 38, just wanting to ride into the night I push on. This is a struggle, my legs are dead, the mind is saying its time for a break, however there is a part inside of me that says keep going! The ride yesterday put me in a hole physically, I don't think it would have if I would have had dinner, however last night I was smoked! I still think the riding in VA is tougher then the Ozarks, however the Ozarks are not to be taken lightly! As with all the terrain on this trip I can't wait to get back here and drop the Bob and attack some of these climbs, the good thing about these climbs are that they are close if I choose to stay in this area once I finish up...

Riding into Hartville, MO I read the signs, with 25 miles to go to hit Marshfield, MO I think about what to do. The goal today was to ride to a town just west of Marshfield called Fair Grove where I plan on sleeping behind a little store, with my legs feeling like they are I'll see how this goes. Refilling bottles and downing some snacks I get back on the road. Thinking just push through it. I have had so many times like this on my trip, down times only to bounce back, with the thoughts of just pushing forward I think about life. Life has so many of these moments, so many down times, then it all bounces back, with the mind controling things I just be, be in the moment and take in the pain of the legs burning, the lungs aching as I pursue my goals on todays ride. The climbing has come to a steady set of rollers, however with the weight I'm unable to roll them, I know if I didn't have the load I would be cruising and have knocked out a hundred miles by now.

The sunshine is so beautiful, with the sun hiding behind the clouds I enjoy the sunset as rays of light peak through, I wonder how many are taking in this sunset this evening? So beautiful, so still, so many moments now to capture! I continue to ride and enjoy the evenin, as the dark clouds to the South continue to push south, I miss the small rain showers I had a couple hours ago, so nice to have warm rain drops hit me while I ride. Taking it all in I think about what's next, where will I end up. I have a plan, however will that plan fall through like others that I have had. Should I even plan?

Pulling into Marshfield, MO I stop and refill some bottles, talk to the clerk about how long the next town is and make a decision that 20 miles would be doable, however not with this light. The days have shortened with the cool temperatures in the morning and the change of seasons, so the allowable ride time for me has shortened significantly. That's okay as I'll find a local park to crash in. After asking the clerk where the park is I decide I need to refuel from yesterday and today, so I head to a local Mexican Cantina for some chips and salsa and a little fuel for tomorrows ride, which could possible be the last in this chapter, definitely won't be the last ride I can and will contest to that! There is just something about riding my bike, that allows me to be free and alive! The open road has so many secrets to it, a new one around every corner, riding to leave no stone unturned on this journey of mine. So many moments to capture, to remember to cherish!

I pull into the park and I'm surprised to see a couple of cyclist, a couple from Europe heading from San Fran to Florida. I chat with them for a little bit, however they are more interested in eating, its dark now I'm sure they have been riding all day and I'm feeling the same. I decide tonight I'm going to actually set up the tent as its supposed to be low 40's and I'm wanting a good nights sleep. Kinda amped from the day I have trouble falling sleep, I text a few people, however no replies so I just sit and think. Think about Oregon and how I would love to connect still with EJ and see how she has been, it has been so long, then again maybe it only feels like a long time since I have experienced so much between then and now. To sleep I go to feel the last moments of the ride tomorrow or possible the next day, its 120 miles to my final destination to ride home with my two nieces, to enjoy the ride from the pool with a 4 year old and a 2 year old that's turning three in a few days. My finish line...

No comments: