Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 24 August 4th, 2010 (Route: Gateway Hells Canyon, ID to Baker City, OR)

Day 24 August 4th, 2010 (Route: Gateway Hells Canyon, ID to Baker City, OR)

Technical Data:
Distance, miles: 88.43
Ride Time 6:56:37
Work, kJ: 4115
Average Power, watts: 163
Normalized Power, watts: 193
Average Speed, mph 12.62

Forecast: Sunny and HOT!!!

This morning I was sleeping so hard I was drooling all over my therma-rest when I woke up! I thought for sure I would get up and use the bathroom in the middle of the night but not so. I must have been a little dehyrdated from the ride yesterday, tough to get enough fluids in the system when your in "Hell's Canyon!" I peaked out the tent to see if the unicyclist had taken off, appeared he slept in too. We mentioned getting up early and getting out on the road but it didn't look like a 6AM departure was in the works for today. I didn't sit around too long though as I wanted to get up and see how the body was going to feel after the crash yesterday.

Once up I could feel the soreness in the left quad and the wrist were pretty swollen but I was alive and kicking so all was well in my head! I was moving a little slow but figured once I got onto the bike it was going to be a great day as I ate like a champ last night - nothing like downing 1600 calories of cookies after a long ride! I often think this gets me into trouble when I'm not riding this much as a bag of Oreos can be gone in 30 minutes if I'm not careful. I have to moderate when I'm not training to keep from putting on the weight, its all about dialing the calories back when I'm not logging the long rides, but right now its all about eating! So if you like to eat, balance it out with a ton of exercise and your set!

Packing up camp I watch the uni-cyclist pack up in about 3 minutes or so. He's carrying 7.? lbs in a backpack and nothing more. I don't think I could do that, I couldn't sleep in my biking shorts for "X" amount of days riding cross country - I think there should be a law against that as the hygeine issues you could run into is not too safe! Can someone say "Diaper Rash"...

After loading BoB and filling bottles I push off down into Hell's Canyon and its something - the canyons walls so steep! You can see the wild game trails along the ridges and the sun shines perfectly on the rolling terrain causing it glow yellow this morning. The terrain for the ride is mostly downhill with some large rollers to start off the day. This place is "Gorgeous!" - I mean this is one of those camping destination places one must visit before they pass, spend some time fishing in the reservoir and just hanging out! The morning is nice and still and still cool, however in a couple of hours this place is going to be on FIRE as it gets Hot in the canyon, hence the name "Hell's" Canyon.

Down the canyon to the first dam was nothing, the second dam crept upon me rather quick as well. I wasn't really thinging about riding much this morning! I was to busy enjoying the views and hoping I was going to get to see some LongHorn Rams along the canyon walls, but really no luck! The game plan today was to stick to nothing but GU for nutrition to get rid of some of it before it goes bad in the intense heat I have been experiencing here in ID along with what I will see in the Eastern part of Oregon. I have about 20,000 calories worth of GU left and I would hate to see it spoil! I was feeling pretty good up to this point and really looking forward to climbing out of the canyon this morning, I knew it was going to be a great day today as the physical was there, though scrapped up and bruise, and the mental was right on! I'll say the night of drooling sleep and all the food I ate last night has me dialed in today.

Once to Oxbow Dam which is really only 15-20 miles from where I slept last night (almost said crashed - since I've done that twice now on the bike I'll have to use sleep or something to help distinguish the two!) At Oxbow there was a grocery however I didn't stop, I did see the uni-cycle park outside though, and this will probably the last I see of him. I was thinking a lot about this guy on the ride down as I didn't quit understand some of his logic last night. He offered me some loratabs since I wrecked, then he went on to explain he doesn't take any medication or like too. I thought then why would you pack them? You're trying to go as light as possible yet your carrying around drugs that you never plan on taking? He also mentioned that he is missing "pants" on this trip - I think I would trade the weight of the drugs for some ultra light trousers or something.

I've noticed that almost all the cyclist out here are worried about weight! I understand the lighter you are the faster you go, however I seem to be taking the oppositie approach, the more I'm loaded the stronger I'm going to get! I really like waking up in the morning and thinking "What does the world have to offer me today?" Since I have been on this journey my mind is clear each and everyday - I'm not sure how I did it all those years in the corporate setting having to think for someone else, and even like someone else. So many thoughts running through me at this part of the ride! I was feeling great and ready to climb...

What if we all road bikes? Would we even need fuel from other countries? Could we off set the oil imports by biking and only using domestic or North American crude slates? What is it about this journey I'm on?

I have had alot of people ask me why I'm on this trip of mine and to be honest I really don't know how to answer that right now. I left without really planning much, I left on faith to be completely honest. I was drawn to the open road and here I am. I often think what others are thinking about me? I have thoughts like: Is he running from something? What is he searching for? Is he running to something? The list can go on and on. So what I plan on doing is just making a list of why I may be on this journey of mine. Is it to meet new people, see different parts of the country? Is it to stregthen my faith? Make new friends? Find that special someone? All I know that I left on the faith I have to guide me and adjust accordingly when the time comes. I look back and I was planning on going West to the coast and then turn East and head all the way to Yorktown, then back to Missouri. However things have changed and now I plan on heading to the East coast by airplane which was a shocking offer that is going to allow me to cycle the Pacific Coast - there has to be a reason for all this however I'll never know what God has planned for me unless I don't follow him with all of my heart and soul!

I'm climbing the canyon now and its a slight up grade so if felt relatively easy. Wind was coal this morning, however the sun was rising fast and it was going to be a hot one! I was focused this morning as I had set some goals the night before and I was determined to get them accomplished! Goal #1 was to get to Baker City, OR and locate a www.warmshowers.com host to see if I could clean up from my crash #2 just have a solid day of riding with great nutrition and hydration #3 Have fun and live in the moment, keep all thoughts at bay that do not help to riding from a to b...

Up the Canyon I didn't see much in forms of wildlife, however I did see lots of small white tails and few chipmunks crossing the road. I love to get to see some rams some day but it appeared this wasn't going to be one of those days. 17 miles to Halfway, OR and it was pretty much climbing all the way with a couple nice switch backs. Overa all a great ride out of the canyon and I was looking to refill bottles at Halfway, OR. Well, Halfway is extremely small, well worth living in to raise a family or just to live and fish, watching the views, et cetera. There is just something about small-town America!!!

In Halfway, OR I refill my bottles and get on down the road. Baker City, OR is 53 miles away from Halfway and at the moment I'm making really great time. This is Canyon country for sure and more like a desert! The terrain reminds me a lot like the Wichita Mountains except more rolling and hot just like there in August. I made sure to refill my bottles and stay on hydrating as I knew it was going to be a hot one! 9 miles down ther road is another small little town, as I write this I can't recal the name of it. I stop in at a little cafe and just help myself to water and ice as I'm extremely concerned about hydration. I have another 40+ miles and its alread close to 100 degrees and I'm not sure of the terrain ahead.

Feeling pretty good rolling out of the small town which I'm pretty sure would be my last water stop before I reach Baker City, OR. in the hills now and I'm sure I'm going go to get plenty of climbing in today, I'm not sure how much but I'm certain its going to be a lot! Hill after hill and I'm doing the best I can to climb without getting the cadence bogged down. I'm feeling great as I still have the motivation to push through, thinking about Astoria and trying to stay ahead of the unicyclist - wouldn't want him passing me. I've kinda made it a game out here on the road to keep me occupied as this many days in a row can be a little boring if you don't make the best of it!

Trying to find the positive side in things can be easy, you just have to think about it! There is some in every situation you come across, its completely up to you to choose whether you want the positive or the negative side of the situation. I've had my fair share of moments when I have been down but recently I have made the switch to make sure I find the positive in everything I do even when I get a little upset or pissed. I still get a little pissed off when vehicles buzz me on the highway but try and dial it back as I can't dp anything about it, I just Thank the Lord that I'm still up right and moving down the highway. There have been some close calls and I've had some people tell me I'm number one but again all I can do is laugh it off!

Now in the canyons on some winding roads and enjoying the ride, this is really my type of terrain, rolling with with little climbing out of the wind. It's a beautiful ride, a different type of road that I didn't expect to see once I got to Oregon. I always have heard about the lush green forest of Oregon and new the East part was more prarie but this is amazing! Riding though a desert canyon with minimal traffic and the heat beating down on me, kinda gave me the full effect of riding in Eastern Oregon. So much beauty here...

Once out of the caynon I had about 15 miles to go and now I was exposed to the sun for sure. Feeling like a nodam traveling across the hot desert on horseback I think of conserving my water as I don't know how the terrain will slow me and prolong my entry into Baker. I'm thinking mile by mile now that I'm ready for some ice water!!! I continue to pedal as I can't stop, I kept thinking, "You stop now, it just makes it that much longer until you get some shade and some ice!". Nothing really going through my mind besides just keep pedaling now, I'm hot and feeling pretty good as i know I stayed on hydration and nutrition today as planned. With 10 miles to go I was feeling really alert and looking forward to what Baker City, OR had to offer.

Rolling into the out skirts I see an RV spot and grab some ice water there, I down two bottles right away and then refill. I'm 3 miles outside of the small town and not sure what to expect. I did email a family about crashing in their yard for the and I'm hoping they have responded by email, all my emails from the website go to my Junk mail so I need to get to the library and check. I get to the library and check and Mitch has agreed to allow me to throw my tent in their yard. I'm thinking "Awesome" as I need a shower to clean up these wounds before I get an infection.

Once to their place I meet Cathy, Mitch's wife and she takes good care of me. Shower, laundry and first aid kit so I can clean myself up. They even provided me with a fantasitic dinner and allowed me to crash in their spare bedroom. I'm fading right now...wanted to give a big thanks to Cathy and Mitch for being an oasis for me in this desert land though before I call it a night! Thank you...another big day tomorrow so I best get some sleep.

2 comments:

jaycee said...

Hey Matt,
Thinking about you, be Safe,
Jeannie

Unknown said...

Keep on pedaling.
How are you flying to the East Coast? Are you heading to San Diego first?
All is well in Tulsa. My heart procedure was successful.
BE SAFE!!