Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 31: August 11th, 2010 (Route: Tillamook, OR to Astoria, OR)

Day 31: August 11th, 2010 (Route: Tillamook, OR to Astoria, OR)

Technical Data:
Distance, miles: 67.34
Ride Time 5:06:27
Work, kJ: 2977
Average Power, watts: 160
Normalized Power, watts: 195
Average Speed, mph: 12.99

Forecast: Cloudy and 65 with winds out of the NW...

Waking up in the Park at Tillamook was great, I finally feel like I got a full nights rest since Colorado Springs, CO. I really didn't want to get up today as I was warm and cozy in my tent, the fog that's on top of me right now has keep me warm all night, out of the wind I was able to keep quit warm and didn't really need the sheet tonight. It's 6AM and I'm thinking today's the day and I'm kinda ready to be through with the first leg, however I don't want the trip to end either so I maybe I'll delay my start. I fire up the pc to download my powertap data as I didn't do it last night, I was a little more interested in eating ice cream then anything.

Once up I take inventory on what I have and make sure I'm not missing much, I even take a few photos of things to give those reading an idea on what I have and what I don't have! Nichols - I took a picture of my tent you requested, should be up on FB. After getting ready I decide to go back to the Safeway cafe and regroup, write a little and wait for the library to open so I can hit the internet. I've been a couple days behind on my blog after staying with warm showers host a couple days in a row, just seem to lose track of time when your with people. I love it though, just adds a little work later in the week...

I think hitting up Safeway for some electrons wasn't a good idea as I downed six cinnamon rolls there in the bakery, I was hungry. I had a guy in the little cafe ask me if I was going to eat all of those and I thought, sure why not I'm about to ride 65 miles up the coast I could use the fuel! He just smiled and agreed if you're riding that much you'll need it. I laughed and went back to collecting some electrons for the pc and the phone and worked on getting caught upon my blog. I text a few people while I was there and tried to catch up on some emails as I have neglected, would neglected be the correct word? I've just been preoccupied would be a better word I think! Enjoying the sights, the people, and the terrain of beautiful Oregon. Terrain is one thing you never really take in while in a car or truck when traveling somewhere. Think about it, most just push a little harder on the gas pedal or with the newer cars and the cruise control kicks a little more fuel at a faster rate into the engine. The terrain by bike can be a lot more than one thinks! The work goes up and the mental strain goes up as well if you are not physical and mentally prepared. The last couple of days I have been trying to conserve my nutrition products as I really need to conserve a little before I get to Astoria. I'm doing this as I know that I'll have a couple days of rest while I'm there so I'll have the time to recover versus the quick recover the products allow for. Maybe this is a mistake however I'll need the calories down the road and lately I've been pretty full as the warmshowers.com host have really helped bring a few pounds back!

Safeway didn't have wi fi even though the connection was strong so I headed to the library for a little bit. Since I wanted to keep an eye on my bike I decided to just type outside on the park bench and enjoy the "gloomy" weather. I thought for a while on how do people live with all this gloom but I'm sure they get used to it all the time. I think I was a little spoiled living in Colorado Springs and Tampa with all that sunshine. I now know for sure that warm weather and sun is going to have to play a key in where I live in the future where ever that may be.

Before leaving the library I chatted with a gentlemen working on adding sand to the bricks in front of the library, conversation was pretty good. He just moved to the area and was mentioning he had always wanted to live in Oregon, relocated from California where he used to work in some shipping yards that were shut down when Clinton was president. He seemed a little upset about losing his job however he was making the best of his situation and enjoying his time sunny or cloudy. He wished me best on my journey and I headed off.

65 miles to Astoria and I was really ready to get there as I have wanted a day of rest since I took my last one at the church, that wasn't very long ago so I have been feeling pretty shot mentally I assuming. The stretch from Tillamook to Astoria has a little bit of climbing in it but I was unsure how much. I started to ride feeling pretty good but not mentally, the dreariness of this place is starting to get to me. Cloudy, with lots of fog in the morning with a light drizzle all morning. I can tell something is off as I'm not able to concentrate on the positive. Riding was going pretty good, however the traffic was starting to get to me, I kept thinking its a weekday so why so much traffic? I was warned about the 101 traffic but really didn't put 2 and 2 together today, again another sign I am getting extremely tired mentally!

I kept thinking that how am I going to get to see the coast with all this traffic so I just put my head down to ride today. I'll see it after I have rested a few days in Astoria. I figured on this last section I would play a little game with the mileage and just cover ten miles then another and just play it a little bit at a time. Mentally I was pretty upset at the traffic and hoping just to be done as soon as possible. Riding along the highway tired is not something I like to do, the nutrition was playing a huge roll today as well.

The sights were starting to get better though, a few breaks in the clouds would come and go and I was excited to see the beauty of the coast that I have heard so much about. I dediced to stop at Seaside and it was 4 o'clock now, leaving Tillamook at 11:30 wasn't a good idea if I wanted to make it to the post office by 5PM. I know I had some post drops to pick up and a really wanted to pick them up today as I was running low on snack food and figured I would have some waiting for me, as a four people mentioned they had sent packages for me. I was pretty excited to be honest, kinda like Christmas in August!

I would think about this and this would cheer me up on the bike. Then I hit an out cropping to view the sites an it was something! Tons of waves crashing on the beaches and rocky terrain the Oregon coast has to offer. This cheered me up but heading back into the gloomy weather was not appealing. I was thinking I need to change my attitude, however riding like I have ridden over the last 30 days is new to me and I'm starting to feel it, I'm not sure if I'm mentally breaking down or its just because I'm so close and can see the light for the recovery days to come?

Attitude has a lot to do with whatever situation you are in, trust me! I'm out here doing what I love, in one of the most gorgeous parts of the country and I feel like my attitude sucks. Kinda like when your sick, nothing is going right, however I have a choice to make. Feel like crap with a crappy attitude or feel like crap and look at the postive and have a positive attitude! I was in that valley for a little bit, however I got out just as I got in once I saw the coastal waters! The surf boards where something different, and I can't imagine surfing in the NorthWest. I was so cold racing in Oceanside a couple years ago, however it is August and not March, so I'm sure the waters are a little warmer however with as little body fat as I have, I think I'll surf in the warmer climates!

The stop in Seaside, OR I stopped in at the visitors center, as I plan on slowing down a little enjoying the coast. I have had so many people ask when I'm going to slow down. Well guess what, I'm planning on it on the coast. I have wanted to spend a lot of time in Astoria for so long, the landscape from the movies I love had stuck in my mind and I want to enjoy it! Heading out of Seaside, OR I have about anothe 15-20 miles into Astoria, I haven't seen much of the sun since the Eastern part of Oregon and I'm hoping once I get settled it will show itself. I feel for all my friends and family that are cooking in one of the worst summers ever in the midwest, here I am traveling the country by bike wishing for sun. When all think they may be thinking is, I want some shade and and don't want to work.

Kinda odd how they want what I am experiencing right now and I want what they have? A steady income and home to go to every night. All in due time I'm sure, I'm just praying I have someone to share it with when it does come around. This makes me think of a chat I had with a friend the other day that wants to take a trip across country but wants to have a co-pilot. I had to question why the wait and say pick up a co-pilot when your out on your journey, there's no time like the present to get lost in the moment! So many wait, wait for what? A full bank account, an opportunity to get away, a ten your tenure at a company for that extra weeks vacation? So many things to wait on, when your waiting what are you doing? I once read this book about waiting and how this person never believes in such a thing. We should never be waiting even when it appears we are, reading a book, chatting with a complete stranger will work. Try it - shoot a smile at a complete stranger and see how it affects there day! Trust me - just try it!!!

I roll into Astoria and its dreary and getting close to 5 I'm thinking. Check my phone and its 5:15PM - I'm thinkint the post office has to be closed and sure enough closed at 5 when I went by. I'm kinda bummed when I get into town, I really wanted to make it by 5 so I could pick up any packages that had been sent. Those were my updrafts for when I arrived as it was drizzling and I was drained...

Now where to sleep, I ask around and since Astoria is built on a hill all there parks are up on a hill, well to be honest I wasn't interested in pulling BoB up a hill today, ones like the ones in San Fransisco or would should the ones in San Fransisco be like the ones in Astoria considering its the oldest settlement west of the Mississippi? I'm thinking hostel tonight as it would be good to get out of the rain! I missed my opps for good camping back at Ft. Steves where I do plan on staying just not tonight. I get settled in at this hostel where I feel pretty comfortable about locking my bike up and getting out to see the sights, no rest for the anxious I guess!

First stop - the Goonies House of course! 368 38th Street, Astoria, OR. I'm not a big fan of doing things like this, however that movie is something, it brings me back to being a kid and I watch it at least once a month to be honest! I just like the youth, the adventure, and of course the landscape! Walking to the house I hear the seals on the docks, the gulls circling over head and the sound of the Columbia river in a mass of all the traffic walking east on Marine Street. I have a couple of miles to go before I hit 38th and I'm thinking grab a couple of photos then head to Inception as its playing at 8:30 and its 7:45. I forgot I did stop and eat, I've been craving chips and salsa since I started and I told myself that would be my reward for getting there. I had hostess cupcakes for crossing Kansas! Chips and Salsa was a treat - nothing like the onces at other restuarants I've dined at but I didn't care I was hungry!

Walking to the house was nice, looking back at the bridge and thinking about all the cars that cross it, the ships that come navigate the famous sand bar heading into the Columbia river to dock up at the port in Portland, OR. So many famous things have occured here, Lewis and Clark, trading, first settlement, forts, forts that have been fired upon, such a historical little treasure here on in the Northwest! I get to the house and its somewhat I remember from the movie! Things have changed over the last 25 years since the movie has been shot! There are residents in the house so going in isn't an option however snapping a picture was worth it. I thought all the guys I used to run with in a town similar to this one, small! Riding bikes and having our own adventures, making friends do the truffle shuffle, and hearing the words "The Goonies Never Die"...a true film all about adventure, nothing to lose in a desperate time, very similar to times like this! Different yet somewhat similar to my thoughts!

When I arrived at the house there was a group of kids taking pictures and they kept asking what house it was, I thought what? You're here and don't know what house it is? That's weird! I tell them then they head back up to take a photo. I saw some signs in town about the 25th Anniversary that happened in July for the movie, would have been cool to see it then! All the fans, I'm not a huge fan but I do like the movie, fanatic I mean - never have really been that fanatical about things, however some might disagree. I did like the Teeanage Mutant Ninja Turtles growing up, part three was shot here however I haven't seen it so I better get on the history while i'm here!

After I shot a photo of the house I headed to the Astor school where they shot the film Kindergarten Cop took a photo and looked at the phones clock and thought I can make it to "Inception" if I push it. On the way I'm thinking chocolate milk, even after the large dinner so I stop at the grocery and grab some milk. I'm going to be late to the film but I'm thinking the previews will be long so I won't be late. I keep walking and get to the cinema, no ones at the desk so I'm thinking the movie must be started. I stand around for a few minutes, go to the restroom and think what should I do. I'm later then I thought, its now close to 9 so I decide to just walk in and catch the rest of the movie, okay this wasn't probably the smartest thing to do but I figure if no ones around what do I do? They must be watching the film too so I would join them! Not sure how much of the film I missed but I didn't fall asleep, when I'm this tired I've been known to fall right asleep after a long day of riding and just random things. I did miss about 30 minutes of the movie so I'm going to have to see it again, and next time I'll pay!

Heading back to the hostel now to sleep...

No comments: