Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 30: August 10th, 2010 (Route: Independence, OR to Tillamook, OR)

Day 30: August 10th, 2010 (Route: Independence, OR to Tillamook, OR)

Technical Data:

Distance, miles: 102.35
Ride Time: 7:10:32
Work, kJ: 4189
Average Power, watts: 159
Normalized Power, watts: 188
Average Speed, mph: 13.96

Forecast: Cool, cloudy with winds out of the NW

Sleeping in a construction lot was ideal last night, waking was tough as I was pretty tired from the short day before. I know that all these days in a row is catching up to me, just a couple more days and a lot of rest ahead of me and I'm looking forward to it. Waking up to a large pile of dirt and an apples falling around me was pretty cool though. Who would have thought I would be sleeping in a construction lot?

Once up I did the normal routine, except this morning I pick fresh blackberries! What a treat it is to wake with fresh berries less than 20 feet away. I really wasn't in a hurry this morning as the bike shop wasn't going to open until 9 or 10 and its 6:30AM so what's the rush. The ride is close to 12-15 miles or so to the shop I think as I have no idea on what shop I'm heading too. To the bike I go and its cloudy, where has the sun gone? It's chilly and I'm ready to fix this bike issue, I'm thinking its a chain problem which won't be that bad, quick fix and I'll be on my way if the cassette is okay.

Rolling out of Independence I kept thinking you're heading the wrong way, you need to be heading NW vs. NE but I need to get to a shop as I can't continue on without a chain! Cruising out of town, I'm suprising feeling pretty good besides the chill on the hands. The roads in this section were pretty clean and I was enjoying the ride to be honest! Approaching hwy 22 where I would take a right and head into Salem came up really quick, I was trying not to stand or put too much power into the drive train as I didn't want to slip the drive chain so I keep it pretty moderate on the way to ensure I made it!

Once into Salem, over a narrow bridge from West Salem I roll right into town and a bike shop is right on the corner! I think, this is ideal!!! The kid in independence mentioned a bike shop on the other side of the bridge and he was correct, good to know he knows the area. I roll past and the shop opens at 9, I keep thinking I'll be out of here by noon for sure! Little time to waste before the shop opens so I ride down town. Riding through town in the AM was a good deal for me, traffic was high but I came up on the "Waffle Guy". Just cruising down the road, and this waffle vendor yells at me if I have had breakfast, I said no and sure enough he say's "I'll make you a waffle". Since one of things on this trip has been trying to receive gifts I couldn't turn him down!

I pull over and chat for a bit, down a waffle with peanut butter and blackberries and a little syrup, wrapped up! I have never eaten a waffle like this, yet ever scene a waffle vendor before. The cool thing was the young man running the stand was wearing a CSC cycling jacket and used to race cyclecross, I new he had to be cool! After sharing some stories and chatting for a bit, he mentioned he would like to tour someday and ride to every professional baseball stadium and catch a game! I thought this would be a great thing to do! Reminded me of Aaron and Laura's story about riding to the center of every US state! What cool ideas!!!!!

I think I would like to combine my idea of climbing the highest peak in every state by adding riding to them! What a way to see the country.....

Back to the shop I stop in and get down to business! I mention the problem to the mechanics in the shop and sure enough the chain is shot, its not even measuring, I new that as I could feel it! The next question was what about the gears, how are the teeth? They do mention when you cassette is shot to add a new chain as they wear together, however I wasn't sure about the front teeth. After a long conversation and observation of the current gears I have I decide its going to best to change the cassette (11/25), chain, and front chain rings (53/39). I'm running some big gears for touring, the mechanic thought he might not have a 53, however I lucked out and he did have one in stock. Not the brand I was running but sure enough, one that would work!

I mentioned I wanted to do the work so I could save on labor cost and they agreed, still a long road ahead and I need to conserve as much as I can! I changed everything out which was a piece of cake! I needed to pay for the items now, $135 bucks for parts was the damage. New chain $28, new cassette (12/26 - they didn't have a 11/25) $35, new 39 gear ring $35, and a 53 $55 - at 15% off cost for parts and since I did my own labor I was able to save as much as I could, I added a few more patches to the purchase as I new I was going to need them on the road for the next couple of legs.

Heading out of the shop it was now 1:45PM and I had covered maybe 25 miles of riding and I was not happy about leaving at this time, but what can you do when you're on the road? Just ride I thought, ride as far as you can and see how you feel. I made the mistake of not running my nutrition today as so much was going on. I rolled out of Salem thinking I could cover as many miles before I needed a break or before I made it to Tillamook which was close to 100 miles away, I really wanted to be in Tillamook tonight even if it cost me riding into the night, however I don't have lights so I know that wasn't going to happen. I rode and rode until I needed to stop for a break. Stopping at a small cafe on the route to the coast I stop for a bit. I stopped too long to be honest, but I was tired and really kicking myself for not staying on the nutrition!

After refueling and taking in as much water as I could I decide to hit the bathroom for a shave and brush my teeth again as I had some sugar and I need to stay on my hygiene. This is in the normal routine in the mornings and evenings, however I had my kit out so I thought I would go ahead and routine it again. I really need to push on I kept thinking but I also kept thinking but I'm so comfortable just sitting here! I have coverd 55 miles today and really enjoying the new drive train! 45 miles to Tillamook and its 5:15 and I'm thinking at 15 miles an hour I can make it by 8:15, however I figured I would need to push it faster than that as its getting late and I need to be off the highways by then. I push off with a goal in mind, restocked and GU full in the tank I'm thinking I'll push the pace a little to ensure I get there in time.

Pushing the pace felt great, actually it felt great to work a little this afternoon. I was feeling pretty good and the terrian was in my favor, there was a little climbing but not to much aso iw as able to really cook it for some of the first 20 miles or so. Terrain is scenic, I had to stop and take a few pictures on this stretch which kept me thinking I can't slow. If I'm going to make it before dark I need to keep moving. Mist starts rolling in, cold and unknowning of the terrain ahead, which I love, I push on. Legs feeling pretty good as its rolling terrain which I love and windy! The road surfaces were ideal for riding too, little wet and with old balding tires I was leary however dark was approaching soon.

Passing dairy farm after dairy farm I know I'm getting closer to Tillamook. I'm thinking this is a sure thing, I'll find a campground or park just before dusk and crawl into my tent and slip into some dreams. I haven't really dreamt, well ones that I can remember since I have been on this journey, o' wait there was a couple night in Colorado Springs, CO where I did dream! Dreamt of that girl I wish to have in my future...but we don't need to go into any details. It would be nice to hit some REM sleep on this journey, exspecially once I hit Astoria which the plan for tomorrow.

I'm cruising now and really enjoying the ride and pushing the pace as much as I can with BOB in tow. I had to stop to go to the bathroom and kept thinking about Ironman racing and how I just go on the bike, I was thinking about it then thought you have to shower somewhere and where is an unknown place so just stop. I really was thinking killing the momentum was what I didn't want! Stop at this filling station and go as fast as I can, however something did catch my eye, a couple locals in a truck were having a good time and I wasn't sure what was going on. Laughing and looking my direction when I came out to my rig? I wasn't sure but I had a suspicion they were up to no good.

I push on with bottle full, I hadn't drank since I left the last stop which I thought I'm going to pay for that one tomorrow for sure! It's getting dark by now and I'm about 15-20 out from Tillamook so I have to stay on it, one more leg and I'm in Tillamook. The next stretch was pretty dicey as road construction and a narrow shoulder and I was really having to push it! I was having so much fun though, racing with a BoB to ensure my safety and not having to ride in the dark was necessary tonight!

The ride was an enjoyable one and I cruised into Tillamook all alone, the roads were pretty bare being a Tuesday night and later in the evening a lot of people must be getting ready for bed which I will do in just a few. Rolling into Tillamook at dusk I planned on getting some Tillamook Ice Cream because so many people have talked about it. To Safeway I head and pick up a quart and half of ice cream, I figure I'll eat the whole thing but I'll have to pace myself so I don't get sick. I also went straight to the bargain rack in the back of the store to see if they had any pasta or other item that might strike my fancy. I scored in this Safeway as they had some peanut butter for a little over a dollar and some pasta for forty cents. O' how you have to stretch that dollar on the road!

I ask the clerk about a local park and she mentioned to just stay on 3rd street and you can't miss it. So pedaling pretty much at dark holding a quart and half of ice cream I venture to the park. A nice little park, full of trees and play ground equipment, rather bright for my sleeping desires but what can one do? I found a great spot in the far back corner to make sure i'm out of sight as I don't want to get kicked out of the park. Looking for sprinkler heads I pitch my tent and position my bike so that if anyone attempted to steal it, it would wake me and there would be no theft. Getting settled into the tent I was pretty excited as I had this ice cream to devour and I was starving!

Half way through the ice cream I could feel the stomach start to churn a little so I slowed down! Read a little and then continued into the ice cream. Tillamook Centennial ice cream is what I purchased and it was pretty good however I was hoping for more brownies and caramel to be honest! The ice cream is more creamy then I had hoped, that or it just wasn't cold enough since I waited so long after taking it from the freezer. I wasn't able to finish the full container but I did put a pretty good dent in it. I keep thinking it would be great to have shared this with someone instead of allowing the remaining to go to waste, however I couldn't finish it as I didn't want to have to wake up in the middle of the night having to puke instead of using the restroom.

Lying there for a while thinking about how full my stomach was I doze off, thinking about the last section of the first leg of my journey will be over. A feeling of sadness and joy hit me at the same time, kinda bitter sweet I think...

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Ahhh, yeah, the Tillamook ice cream! I'd have shared it with ya! I toured the cheese factory (though they weren't running) when I was in OR after the Hood to Coast relay in 2008. Beautiful country!

mcarnal said...

Hitting up the Cheese Factory on my way south. I figured I ate a little too much dairy the night before and I was anxious to get to Astoria for some rest!!! How are the legs feeling after the CR intervals? My legs have botton so strong on this trip and I'll be ready for my 40K TT next year for sure if I keep this up...

Nicole said...

Oh my legs are in definite need of some recovery time! Feeling them for sure - those intervals were tough! But, yeah you will rock a 40k TT after pulling BoB across the country for sure!