Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 27, August 7th, 2010 (Route: Dayville, OR to Sisters, OR)

Day 27, August 7th, 2010 (Route: Dayville, OR to Sisters, OR)

Technical Data:

Distance, miles: 125.86
Ride Time 9:15:13
Work, kJ: 6253
Average Power, watts: 186
Normalized Power, watts: 208
Average Speed, mph 13.45

Forecast: Clear Skies and temps in the high 80's, wind (of course)

Early start today, alarms goes off at 5:30. Did I get up right away? Nope, I hit the snooze button as I wanted to sleep more. The floor in the Church was comfy but not that comfy as I woke many times throughout the night to inflate my air mattress. (I really need to think about purchaseing a new one) I just haven't got the quality of sleep I need on this trip to make sure I have been recoverying. About ten minutes later I'm up and really thinking its going to be a good day as I feel strong, stronger than I have over the course of the last eight days for sure.

Get up and use the bathroom then head to the kitchen to get some pancakes going. I only need to eat, don my kit, and situate BoB and I'm rolling out the Church. Jordan had caught up to me on my rest day so we shared duties on making the pancakes. I sat down early to eat and downed three pancakes pretty quick, then put on my kit so I could get on the road. I did help Jordan clean up our mess from making the pancakes before I took off though.

Once out the door I had this left feeling it was going to be a great day, I always feel great after a day of rest. I was hoping the day was going to be a great one as I gave up my goal to get to Astoria by Monday by taking this rest day but I needed it! Once on the road I new things were going to be good, the stomach was little full from just downing some cakes but I needed to calories as fuel today. The goal today, three passes and potentially a 150 plus mile day given I get good winds and I fuel correctly.

Up the first pass and I was feeling pretty good, the legs were feeling really strong but didn't want to waste too much energy on the first climb as I really wanted to make sure I had enough strength for the second pass and the third if everything went well. I worked this climb today and felt really good, there is nothing like feeling the transformation in fitness while out on the road! Feeling strong I rolled the first pass and headed down to Mitchell and just blew by the little down. Next up Ochoco Pass, this one was a little higher in elevation but not much higher!

The views this morning were spectacular, leaving the John Day valley was spectacular. Another small canyon to pass though. Tons of fossils have been found in this area as there is a National Park here to show off all the fossils that have been found, sabertooth tigers and some dinasuars I think. Next time I'm going to stop and see the fossil beds and take a tour. I had one thing on my mind today and that was having a productive riding day. Many have questioned why I'm going so long everyday, I'm just enjoying the riding! Somedays I ride, others I tour and others I just get through...Sound like work for many, I know I used to be there and actually looking to get back there as I have scene so many places I would like to live and I'll have to have financial means to do so, but for now I'm just going to keep pedaling!

To the base of Ochoco Pass I was eager to get to the summit before noon, I left early and knew that I had plenty of time. Not to mention if I got to the top of Ochoco and then had light winds I could really make an attempt at Mackenzie Pass. I worked this pass like the first, out of the saddle and just feeling extremely strong today. Today was one of those days where I wanted to really ride and just focused in on riding. I feel really alive going after goals and today just happened to be one of those days! Up the pass and now into the timber I reach the summit. I'm low on water and hungry so I stop at the rest stop at the top of the summit and grab some food. I was lucky as there was a trucker at the top and playing dumb I ask, "so there's no water here" and his response is "you need some water" and he gives me some water, a liter to be exact! The gentlemen in the RV right next to me must had over heard as he gave me two bottles of water as well. (Him and his wife were just out driving around, I asked where his destination was and they said they didn't have one, just wondering!)

Back on the saddle I decend the pass and stop at a giant covered wagon for a bit to check it out and take a couple pictures of Mt. Strawberry. What a site! Once into the flats I had a couple of towns to go through Prineville and Redmond. I figured it was going to be a lot of rolling terrain until I reach Prineville and it was along with a nice head wind. I think there is a theme here with all the headwinds. There great when I'm feeling strong physically and mentally, however when I'm lacking energy and feeling low, there not much fun at all! I'm pretty much cruising now and hitting my time goals and really feeling pretty strong! Then the winds pick up and knock me off mentally so I figure once into Prineville I'm going to make a decision whether or not I'm going to push on past Redmond or not which is the next town over. I stop in Prineville and refill bottles as its getting hot and I need to ensure I'm hydrated...

Don't stay too long as the heat is pretty strong today, not sure if its this area or not but I can feel it! Climbing out of Prineville was kinda cool, reminds me of the canyon rim in Billings, MT. Once onto the flat I hit the throttle a little and head into Redmond. I was feeling really strong today and hitting my nutrition with GU and water and it was working. I must have hit more caffeine filled Gu's today because I'm feeling great! The landscape is starting to change, I can see mountains off on the horizon and I'm getting a little giddy, just means I have one more pass to climb and I'm in the flats up to Astoria, however the head wind comes out of the NW so I'll have to deal with that for 235 miles out of Eugune, but I figure thats a few days away so no worries right now.

I roll into Redmond and pull up to a stop light and noticed a couple laughing really hard. I know what they're laughing at. The bibs I'm wearing has a hole in the tail end and my bum is peaking through so I just let them laugh. When I wrecked it ripped my bibs pretty bad, but I didn't care as I'm on the road! I'm about a 106 miles in today and the wind is pretty stiff so I'm thinking about calling it a day but I need to find a place to stay. Finding a place to stay in a 25,000 population can be easy, however you have to be careful. I decide to check out a local coffee shop for some free wi fi and see if any one from warm showers in in the area. I find a couple in Sisters about another 20 miles down the road. Make the call and Steve and Karen are up for hosting me, I was so "Thankful" as it was such late notice!!! God sure does a way of shining down when I'm in need on this trip!

I make he journey West into the headwind, they were planning on going for a bike ride so they meet me out on the highway. I'm thinking this is really cool! They ride a tandem recumbent (Rans Seavo) made in Woodland Park, CO, I thought I know where that is! After about a ten mile stretch into the wind I meet up with them riding the tandem and kinda cruise in with them to their place. I was feeling pretty tuckered out from the day, legs were feeling really strong today though as I hit all my nutrition and the little 30 minute stop in Redmond, OR was worth it!

Almost there and I get a slow leak on my front tire, I figure I would just ride it in and it made it so I was happy about not having to change a flat out on the side of the highway. Pulling down the road where they live I had to pause and sit in the moment just for a few minutes as the scenery right outside of there place is "Amazing"!!!! The "Three Sisters" peaks are directly outside the front of their house with some amazing views! I thought I could live here for sure! Mule deer grazing on the alfalfa in the late evenings while you watch the sunset over the mountain range, all from your front porch! Does it get much better than that I thought? Every day Steve and Karen get to wake up and look at these beautiful peaks blanketed in snow...

Once to their house I was taken care of! They mentioned I had been the 2nd cyclist since they have been on warmshowers.com and I was delighted to have chosen them when I looked at the list of folks around Sisters, OR. I was able to clean up my bike and change my flat right away, I have been wanting clean my bike and drive chain for a couple weeks now...

The evening was filled with great food and conversation! I can't Thank Steve and Karen enouch for their great hospitality! Karen - Thank you for saving me from further humiliation with my cycling bigs!!! Overall a great day and I really appreciate the wonderful day...After looking at the power files this was by far one of my strongest days on the bike!!!

No comments: