Saturday, August 7, 2010

Day 25: August 5th, 2010 (Route: Baker City, OR to Dayville, OR)

Day 25: August 5th, 2010 (Route: Baker City, OR to Dayville, OR)

Technical Data:
Distance, miles: 116.86
Ride Time 9:13:13
Work, kJ: 4963
Average Power, watts: 148
Normalized Power, watts: 175
Average Speed, mph: 12.51

Forecast: Hot and Sunny (Head winds all day)

Woke this morning to many new and interesting sounds. One sound outside was very annoying and it caused me to want to get out of there. I think it was some kind of bird with a rather annoying screeching sound and it really bothered me. Other sounds were cars passing right outside the window I was sleeping under. The bed was comfortable and I really appreciate the family allowing me to crash there, however it wasn't a very quiet place to sleep. I often think of the home I will build for myself and how it must be in the most peaceful setting, quiet to allow me to sleep as I love to sleep with peaceful sounds...

I got up pretty quick as I knew it was going to be a big day on the bike. Before heading out of Baker City, OR I stopped and grabbed some bagels and peanut butter for the rest of the trip, not sure how long it will last, however I'm going to try and make it last as long as I can! Heading out of town I was a little cold and I could tell it was going to be a tough day, the wind was blowing pretty stiff this morning and it was blowing directly in my face, lots of work ahead of me!

Heading out of town on Hwy 7 I wasn't feeling too strong but knew if I wanted to make it the distance I planned I needed to get rolling. The roads this morning were narrow with a small shoulder but ridable. The goal today was to cover at least 100+ miles and finish up where I ended up, there were a couple of biking destinations on the grid for camp so I new I would be okay even if I didn't make it to Mitchell which was the goal today. Mitchell is close to 125-150 miles away from Baker City, OR with a little climbing then a nice descent into the valley that runs along the John Day River. Three passes to climb today though before hitting this downhill section, which in all honesty isn't always just straight downhill! I love it when the locals say 'o its all just down hill, that means where your standing and the finish line is at a lower elevation - they seem to forget about all the in between!

Rolling South on 7 the legs really didn't know which way to respond today, strong or weak? Overall I would lean towards them being tired, as I just checked and I have ridden 8 days in a row averaging close to 100 miles per day, I think I'm going to take a rest day before I hit Astoria and "Smell The Roses". I've had a couple people ask me this, I plan on doing it once on the coast but won't hurt to take a day here in DayVille and enjoy the day. I actually feel good about this decision even though it wasn't planned. I need it and my legs will thank me tomorrow for sure!

Many thoughts come to mind on the west bound section of highway 7 as I see farm house after farm house lined against this small rushing river. They must have gotten some rain or the little river flows like this all the time, I'm not sure but I do know it is beautiful! A paddle wheel in the river catches my eye as I try and stay awake while riding this morning (another reason I should take a day off). This wheel makes me think about all the natural energy our planet provides and this person is capitalizing on their natural surroundings. I know if we all put in the extra effort to save on energy and utilize other means of power we would be better off. I mean think about it, its pretty simple! The economist in me thinks about opportunity costs, save here, you can spend there and every body wants to spend there versus throwing money away on heating homes, driving cars, et cetera! American's like to spend money on entertainment, maybe if they watched all this they wouldn't complain about where there money is going. (off on a tangent there, funny how a little thing in a river can get you thinkging)

I'm climbing now and cannot really tell as its like a false flat with some rolling terrain so I'm starting to feel pretty good physically. Mentally on the other hand I am tired, I can tell this day is going to be a battle, but that's what happens when your ride 100+ a day for 8 days in a row, I should be only working 5 days with 2 off, however the anxiety of getting to the coast has me amped up. I have always wanted to see Oregon Coast line since I was a little kid growing up watching the Goonies. I know this may seem a little childish, however its a great movie and the scenery is worth riding my bike too. And I have to ask, why do we have to grow up anyway. We all mature so why grow up! Think about it, ask anyone "What they want to do when they grow up" and most haven't figured it out, or are still deciding, only to change there minds in a few years! O' back to the universal constant of "Change"...

Once to Sumpter I really don't know when these climbs are coming as I didn't study the map as closely as I should have but thats what brings me adventure! Larch Summit approaches (5080 ft) which doesn't sound like much but when your starting out at 2,000 feet its still a 3,000 feet climb or so, however I'm not even sure where I started in Baker City so I really don't know. I do know one thing, I should stop my momentum when climbing and the once at the top I'll have a down hill! The three passes today where back to back, you woul climb one and then descend a little then climb another, it wasn't too bad but I was feeling pretty tired as I kept thinking, I'm going to stop at the next picnic table I see and take a nap, however I kept pushing on. John Day was close to 83 miles from Baker and I know I could make it there, find a park and settle in for the day or night depending on how my nap treats me!

I stopped for water at the junction of Highway 7 and Highway 26 to refill bottles. Today I did something different, I grabbed lunch. I usually don't do this however I wasn't really feeling like pushing it too hard today so I thought the rest would treat me well, it did and so did the two scoops of ice cream after lunch! Before hitting this junction I started riding on fresh "chip-seal" which was really like riding on a gravel road as it hasn't been swept yet. Rolling into this section the sign stated "Chip-Seal Next 26 Miles" and I thought great there goes my speed today and tryign to get to Mitchell. The wind was light, not like the wind in Wyoming and the sun was starting to cook down on me so I new it was going to be a long day.

In the small cafe where I was having lunch a couple older guys were there having lunch as well. I could tell they had been drinking as one kept talking and talking, not sure how many he had but it sure was comical. He made fun of my cycling kit and asked a lot of question about where I was going, where I was from, and what the hell I was doing out there alone. He made snide comments pretty much all through lunch. He mentioned his idle was Mike Tyson and if I crossed him he would bite my ear off, I laughed and just enjoyed the day as it was somewhat entertaining! The other coupld in the cafe I think were ready to get out of there as they didn't have much to say and were kinda upset I think. Then the two guys got up and left, the one that was quiet said "No worrie's I'll be driving so you don't have to worry about him running you over." I thought its a little before noon and this guy's toasted, I sure don't want to be that guy later in life I kept thinking!

After my two scoops it was time to roll on and I wasn't looking forward to it, 13 miles more of fresh chip seal! Delayed with my start I stop and talk with the construction crew that's directing traffic, basically waiting on the pilot car. I had to wait close to 20 minutes before I could push on, I wasn't really in any hurry today as I was still a little tired and now I had all this food in my system, meaning I was ready for an afternoon nap. Pedaling down the fresh chip seal wasn't my idea of fun riding and I really just wanted it to be over! The stretch wasn't 13 miles and I was sure hopefull for that, one more pass and I'm scott free to let the downhill take me home for the night. Dixie Summit (5279) was the last pass I needed to get over and it was pretty tame like the others, compared to Colorado passes.

Coming off the downhill I rolled into Prairie City, Oregon and pretty much just rolled right through as John Day was just down the road. I planned on stopping in John Day as this city has been on the signs since I first left Baker City. It's getting extremely warm in this valley now and I'm ready for some ice water, mile after mile I keep thinking how nice it would be to have some nice cold water! I roll into John Day and head down the main strip passing all the places with ice cold water and find a park. Once in the park I use the restroom and just sit in the moment for a little bit. Kids playing in the pool next door, teenagers sitting conversing, more teenagers smoking in the corners (I bet their parents don't know), and an older gentlemen passed out in the park with his husky. I rolled in and it appeared nothing was going to disturb this guy's sleep!

After receiving a phone call from my Mom - the first one in a couple of weeks I catch a power nap! Mom called to see how I was doing and to let me know the good news. She will be closing on her first home in Tulsa at the end of the month. I'm so proud of her! You have to understand my family history to fully understand the situation she is in, and I'm in as well. It was good to catch up and hear the good news!

The power nap was awesome! I didn't sleep for more than 20 minutes or so, it felt like I sleep for hours though. Feet propped on lazy BoB, man I sure wish he would do some pedaling on this trip, okay I give it too him, he has been carrying most of the load on his back the whole trip! Sleeping in the park was so peaceful, it helped I was exhausted too, to allow for such a deep sleep. Getting up the gentlemen that was sleeping in the park walked by and we talked for a few minutes. Ed was his name, an older gentlemen that appeared pretty warn, warn as he has lived a full life. His Husky was gorgeous, I wish I would have taken a photo of him and his dog. It was a sight to see while they were sleeping in the park, one that many would have over looked! Husky's name was "Whiskey", a ten year old that was pretty warn as well. Ed mentioned that he was given the dog ten years ago so I assumed he was ten, however he could have been much older.

Ed walked on, I continued to prep to head on to Mt. Vernon or Dayville to find a place to camp for the night. Once BoB was ready I walked my rig out of the park, walking right by Ed we talked a little more and I'm glad we did! Ed's here looking for a place to live, a place to house his three horses and basically start over is what I gathered. Ed didn't like the fact I was traveling alone by bicycle, no more than did I like the fact that a 65+ year old man was living out of his van! Ed went on to mention that he was living in Great Bend, Kansas for the last couple of years and couldn't handle the humidity so he wanted to move back to Oregon where he calls home. Ed was told by the doctor's three years ago that he wouldn't live this long, so he moved to live with family in Kansas. Now the doctors think he will live another 10 years.

What was tough about this conversation was when I asked about his journey in life, and he said "Son - my journey is over" and I thought you can't give up! Your still kicking, you have to have something in that old warn out body of yours to offer. He did not appear happy and was pretty upset at doctors and life in general, however he was free! Not living in a nursing home and getting by on his own. My heart felt for this old bird as he stood there, in tatered clothes eating some cold chicken wings. I introduced myself and would have shook his hand but we agreed too much chicken grease... (we both laughed)

I often think what my life will be like at this age? Will I be run down, will I be full of life, will I just want to give up? Something tells me my heart and lungs will be as healthy as ever but what will I do? I stand here and look at Ed and think about all the things he has gone through, the conversations with the doctors and hearing about how your going to die. He just gave up and is waiting to die...

Brings me to the question of the concept of what is your dash again? I wish I would have been a little stronger to ask Ed some deeper questions but I didn't, I missed this opportunity to learn from someone who has experienced so much. Before I departed Ed did ask me a couple questions; "Do you have a weapon?" was the main question that stood out. He was concerned about something, what it was I was unsure of. He mentioned I should always travel with cash too. Then I asked him in return and he carries a gun, has a dog, and always travels with cash. He mentioned he was sleeping in the park tonight in this old white rundown van and just looking for a place for his horses. I wondered again, what's life going to be like when I have the conversation with the doctors? Do I want to know if I'm going to die? This I truly do not know...

I do know that before I die I hope to have made a difference with my life! God has been guiding me along this journey and protecting me from all that can harm me, hence why I've scathed two crashes with no broken collar bone and my bike is still in working order. I've been thinking a lot tonight why I wright this what he has in store for me? I have so many gifts but not sure which to follow, I'm asking and praying a lot while I'm staying here in Dayville, OR. I'm staying in the one of the many houses of God tonight, a local church that allows cyclists to crash inside! This church has lots of history on the TransAm route as all the appliances have been purchased through donations from cyclists, comes fully equiped with shower, laundry, stove, et cetera...I liked it so much that I'm going to take another day here and rest, I need it!

Rolling out of John Day, Ed had me thinking a lot about what life means to me and how I should go about living it! Over the short time I have been alive I have controlled my life, planning everything and just barreling through the time. A couple of years ago I tried to give up all control and finally on this trip I gave up everything, controlling nothing. I really do feel like I was supposed to break away and find myself and I'm hoping to take the steps in my life that God wants. Since I lost my job in Tulsa, OK in 2008 life has been rather interesting, I've had to sell almost everything I worked so hard for over the years, however now none of all that matters. I cannot take any of it with me and to be honest, it would be a burden on those who have to pick up after me when I pass. I'm sure a few would get a few good bikes out of the deal, but I'm not gone yet so all you 6 footers out there keep your eyes off my Felt DA and Single Speed as I still have the legs to ride 'em! Lately I have been thinking about all the stuff I have purchased over the years and what it means and to be honest, it doesn't mean anything!

What I'm eluding to is that if your stuck in a materialist frame of mind you might want to reconsider! Yes it is nice to have things, however experiencing moments with friends and family are way more important, it took me so long to figure this out and you shouldn't have to spend that time learning as I did, trust me, chasing what doesn't matter isn't worth it. I had a good friend sit down with me in a coffee shop once and tell me to stop racing Ironman as its not worth it. So far I have listened and haven't let the time spent doing all the training consume me, I do have to ask in return if he is enjoying getting back to racing though. The better question would be are you keeping things in balance???

I feel like I'm really all over the place tonight and its tough to concentrate sometimes when I'm lacking all the brain food I need on this trip. Many have asked me what I'm looking for and I continue not knowing, I'm hoping to build my trust in God more than anything! I did receive a couple text last night, on how I would define success so far on this trip, along with what I miss the most? I really didn't know how to answer them when I received them, as I was not thinking straight, spending 116 miles on a bike in the hot Oregon sun, pushing into a head wind will do that too ya. If I had to answer how I would define success I would say that I will have to answer that when I have a couple weeks of reflecting on this journey.

Rolling into Dayville I found a place to grab some water and scored some 50 cent powerbars that were expired. Cheap food on this trip has been plush and I won't turn down a good deal, even if they are expired a few days. I heard about the famous Church in Dayville from Mitch over in Baker City and I was looking forward to crashing there. So once I got there I settled in, took a shower and started to type, then fell asleep typing so I had to finish this up the following morning on my rest day...

No comments: