Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 29: August 9th, 2010 (Route: Eugene, OR to Independence, OR)

Day 29: August 9th, 2010 (Route: Eugene, OR to Independence, OR)

Technical Data:

Distance, miles: 72.51
Ride Time: 5:37:56
Work, kJ: 2925
Average Power, Watts: 141
Normalized Power, Watts: 163
Average Speed, mph 12.53

Forecast: Cloudy and around 65, winds out of the North/Northwest

Waking up on the air mattress in a nice warm home was a treat this morning! I really didn't want to get up but new if I didn't I would get on the road, so I woke. Folded up the blankets and stripped the sheets and pillow cases and deflated the air mattress. I thought a lot about when I stay in hotels when I was doing this and how I miss making my own bed in the morning, ok that's a rare occasion but if I was with my bed right now I might! When I'm staying in hotels I like to make it easy on the cleaning people so they can get in and out of my room by piling up the towels and trash in one area and just trying to make there job a little easier as I know when I was doing labor jobs I really was thankful for those who put a little extra into helping out!

Once up I just sat and thought for a bit. Not long after I got up Kirk awoke and headed for the shower. He slept out on the screened in porch on the cushions of the couch and since I was really in a working mood today I got the cushions and put them away. I really wanted to help out as much as possible as Aaron and Laura where amazing host and I really felt like assisting! I'm so greatful for all the hosts on this trip as it wouldn't be possible without them!!!

It's about 6:30AM and Laura is up in the kitchen preparing breakfast, man the spread was amazing! Eggs, toast, fresh strawberries, fresh blackberries, banana bread, oj, chocolate milk (Thank You again Kirk), and some coffee for those coffee drinkers! We all sat out on the porch and had an amazing breakfast and conversation! Tons of thoughts on how to make the world a fitter place to live through means of riding bikes! Kirk has lots of ideas on being a "Spokesman" for the movement! He even gave us some bracelets made out of spokes that I'm happily wearing right now! Kinda wierd wearing something silver on my wrist but I'll do it for the change! One of his thoughts was to have mentors ride with kids to school, there a lot of retired people or just cyclist willing to do this. The idea is a good one, to get kids and adults for that matter getting out on there bikes for some activity. His thought was to have an adult meet up with the kids and ride with them to school, what a great idea! Utilize those empty bike racks all across the nation by burning a few calories. I sat and listened this morning as I wasn't very talkative, just felt like listening!

His idea made me think of my childhood in Parsons, Kansas. I rode my bike everywhere, and I mean everywhere! I rode to grade school, junior high, to the ball parks, swimming pools, pretty much anywhere I wanted as the town wasn't very big. I did think it was at the time however when I went back a few years ago with my bike, I rode across town in less than 15 minutes and thought why do people in this town even bother on owning a car. I understand owning a car, however the point is if you only have a few blocks to go to get groceries, go to church, go to the library, try riding a bike. I know that you'll feel better and you won't have any second thoughts on having that ice cream or chocolate chip cookie when you want becuase you'll have burned calories by riding!

The conversation was great this morning, I love to be around people that sit and think and share ideas versus just sit and gossip or talk about the latest sitcom. Thinkers is what I need to be around, deep thinkers! I really enjoyed this breakfast and the conversation and left thinking myself as I often do! One other thought that I had was from Aaron, I'll have to quote him on this even though I have thought the same thing while on the road, however Aaron summed it up the best when he said something towards the line of "Travel around by bike and return to the same place to sleep outside, and your considered homeless, travel around by bike and sleep in different places and you're an adventurer" I think didn't get that quote right, however it went something like that!

Made me think of my brother when I hear this. When I lost my job in Florida and really didn't have a place to go I wanted to really move to Colorado and live out of my Jeep for a while and sort things out before I got back to the working world, however noone thought this to be a good idea, as I would be considered homeless. I know that I'll never be homeless with friends (family) like Kay and David!!! So I guess to maybe get this out of my system I decided to ride across the USA, now I'm looked on as an adventurer which I think I could do for the rest of my life to be honest. I'm almost a month into this journey and I'm loving it, there are moments when I think of a house to come home to, a warm bed to sleep in, a frig with food, my dog playing in the back yard and the ability to rest in the comfort of something I can call my own but I'm fending well out here on the road...

After breakfast Kirk and I said we would do the dishes but Laura wasn't having it, so we had to back off. I really wanted to do something this morning with my hands, clean or something! I really enjoy working with my hands and I'm starting to realize that now that I have been on the road for so long, I really enjoy working and look forward to when I can get back to it, however for now I'm going to continue to pedal and write! Packing up the PC and things I brought into the house I really didn't want to leave, I had the feeling of wanting to stay as it was comfortable and venturing out to find another place to crash was getting kinda tough on me I think, not to mention Aaron and Laura have made a home that any one could feel comfortable in!

Loading up the trailer I noticed I had a flat so I changed it before rolling out with Kirk. Kirk and I planned on navigating to the highway that we would be taking North, after getting sidetracked with heading the wrong direction I decided to trust my memory versus his Iphone and head back to the place I called Aaron from when getting into town. It all worked out and we were on our way North. I rode with Kirk for a brief moment before letting him know to give me a shout in Astoria before he headed out and I took off into the light headwind. Riding for close to an hour I noticed I wasn't really feeling that good today, not sure if it was something I ate or what but I just was a little unsettled. I thought what did I eat that could cause this upset stomach, could it have been the figs? I thought about this for a long time then thought, hell I just ate way too much!

Riding for a bit I was just trying to get some mileage in before I'd take a break. I stopped in Corvallis for a little break and to catch up on my blog. Lately I have been riding a lot later in the day and not finding the time to write which I'm kinda upset with, however I am experiencing life and that's what matters on this trip! I really like to collect my thoughts at the end of the day though, as I haven't read anything I have written so far and probably won't until about a month after this journey! Makes it worth writing every day to help remember all the memories I have collected so far!

Stopped at the Beanery there in Corvallis and just took in the moment. Tons of college kids just living life and really have not experienced any of the working world and true responsibilities of life, though some have! Everyone has such a unique story in life it's tough to know some one's journey without having a conversation with them!

Students walking around barefoot, playing guitars, laughing, smiling, truly just being alive! The caffeines flowing for sure in this place, homeless guy sleeping in a chair a few tables down, (homeless I'm not sure but dirty for sure), people coming in and out and just really enjoying themselves!

Back on the bike I continue to head north and trying to get as many miles in today, not feeling good but working! I noticed my chain has been skipping a little and I'm starting to worry about things as I can't afford (time) to have a chain break on me here out in the middle of the highway, 20+ miles from the nearest bike shop. Riding, I like to adjust my saddle position, more so pulling BoB so now I can't stand, overwise the chain pops. I'm starting to get pissed at this point as I should have checked this out in Eugene or Corvallis as I'm nearing close to 2500 miles and due for a new chain for sure.

I continue riding seated in the small chain ring and just trying to make it to Monmouth and identify the issue. Since we got a late start its starting to get dark and I have yet to find a place to crash. I pull into Monmouth and realize I need to get to a bike shop! It's late for riding, close to 7PM or so and i'm not sure where the nearest bike shop is, I'm sure there was in Salem, however that's 11 miles away. I stop in the park and check things on my phone and sure enough 10-15 miles to Salem for the next bike shop. I think hard about riding to Salem tonight on my warn out chain, but figure they won't be open this late so I decided to wait till morning. Now where to crash???

I sit in the park and then a gal came by and I asked here about the city of Independence and if it had any parks, this park wasn't doable for hiding in. She thought for a minute and asked "You need a place to crash? Then said, I would pitch a tent under the apple tree where their building a house" and I thought how ideal! Persmission to camp on a residential building site. I happily accepted and rolled down to the house which was a couple miles closer to Salem in Independence, OR.

I pull up to the lot and its perfect, I can hide right under the Apple Tree and behind this large pile of dirt to block any wind. I get things set up and they came by to check on me and see if it would workout and I thought, PERFECT!!! Couldn't beat it, port-a-jon on the property with fresh blackberries for picking right across the alley! What a night, slept like a champ besides the falling apples all night, one did hit me in my foot but I just had to laugh at where I was in my travels!

I have one recommendation for tent makers though, has to do with going pee in the middle of the night! Off to sleep I go as I have to get to Salem tomorrow on a chain that's way over due!

No comments: