Thursday, July 15, 2010

Addition to Day Three...

As I sit here in Lyons, KS and watch the kids practice baseball it takes me back to my childhood and all those years on the diamond. The fun hot summers in that small little town just like this one. Bikes thrown to the ground in anticipation on getting on the field to play with your friends and dream about the big leagues. The crack of the aluminum bat as it smashes into the rawhide of a perfect baseball is a sound just like the meadow lark to me. Coach stops play to educate how to field a back hand, how to position a catchers feet when picking up a bunt to throw to first. The birds are chirping just as loud as the lone Mom in the stands. The hustle and bustle of the pool out in left field is full of kids screaming, splashing, and having a great time on this hot summer day.

As I sit here for a while I only say a few words to the Mom in the stands. Eleven year olds practicing for state tournament coming up. Again, how I remember those days! A gentlemen approaches me as I scalp Bob's belly and go to set up camp. Thinking I'm going to have to find another place to camp and as I look high in the sky there is more rain in the forecast. Dr. David approaches me and ask "would you like to sleep in a bed tonight, a hot day like this you otta be exhausted. I have a rental three blocks over that's open with a hot shower and bed in it if you would like." As I roll to the rental I think of all the blessings I am being blessed with on the start of this journey!

Sitting on the front porch eating dinner I watch the neighbors as they talk after a hard day of work and wonder what they are talking about. Kids ride by yet again on their bikes with no parents in site. Young blonde, hair pulled back in a pony tail walks by walking a golden retriever and my mind starts to fill with thoughts of captain...taking me out of the present moment in time! The cacadas buzz in the background and the sky is filling with clouds. My stomach growls, lips dry, skin covered in road grime and sweat.

Return inside for a shower, the luke warm water runs down my face and filthy body. I stand there motionless thinking about the day. Water cleanses me of the road grime, sweat, and tough day. Thoughts feel with positive emotions, as tomorrow is a new day, an opportunity to get stronger, an opportunity to improve, an opportunity to live!

Thoughts from todays ride - I sit, legs cranking the crank arms around and around at 90 rpm's. The sound of metal against metal fills my ears as I continue down the open road. Sun is directly above me, piercing the earths crust with intense UV rays. Body beads with sweat, breath is calm, eyes focused on the road straight ahead. Redtail hawks soar high in the big Montana like skies. Ride in the middle of the road on this forgotten highway. Crops sway in the wind leaving an ocean like sound in my ears. Mind is clear...

4 comments:

Rob Chance said...

Matt, I like this style. A short essay, but it told us so much about your day, your experiences, good deeds from others, and life on a bike on the open road. Keep it up.

Unknown said...

wishing things were wrapped up here - keep feeling a tug that I need to be there - it is what it is - His timing is not our own. Everything for a reason, I guess. I am so thankful you are being taken care of through the Grace of God on your journey. May He bless you throughout your trip.

mcarnal said...

Rob - Thanks man - it means a lot you're keeping up on my blogging! You have been an inspiration to me and have truly affected me in ways I cannot explain! Thank you for being you...

As for the style I'll try and keep that up when I can - notice its getting tougher as the fatigue sets in! Two more days and then some rest!!!

mcarnal said...

Julian - When the time is right my good friend! You are correct - we did meet on the bike and what a better way to build our friendship! Make the time, find the time and I'll see you soon whether our West or pulling you along the Hotter-n-Hell, that is if I'm back in time!

God is shining down on me and its unexplainable!!!!

Godspeed...