Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day Fourteen: July 25th, 2010 (Jeffery, WY to Dubois, WY)

Day Fourteen: July 25th, 2010 (Jeffery, WY to Dubois, WY)

Technical data: (batteries worked!!!)
Distance, miles: 136.75
Ride Time: 9:14:20
Average Power, watts: 169
Normalized Power, watts: 191
Work, kJ (calories burned): 5667
Average Speed, mph: 14.56

Day Forecast: Sunny and warm, temperatures in the 90's with wind (I just say wind as I'm in Wyoming and who knows where the wind is going to blow from!!!!!

*Today was planned to be a large day, so don't be too shocked by the mileage! I was shocked by the wind the last 20 miles as I battled it for at least 2.5 hours trying to get into Dubios, WY!

This morning was really no different then the last couple of nights, slept on a picnic table as I wanted to be off the ground, very similiar to sleeping in the church! Sleep was good, however I have to keep airing up that therma rest every couple hours as the patch did not work and money isn't budgeted for another one on this trip so I'm just going to have to make due! Once I woke - 1 minute before my phones alarm was set to go off, gotta love the enternal clock! I felt great this morning when I woke, hoping I didn't startle the other cyclist that planned on sleeping in.

I loaded my things and when doing so I looked at my back tire and it had a hole in it about the size of a nickel. I thought, well I thought some not so pleasant thoughts about this as I looked the front over last night but failed to look at the rear I guess. I knew there was a bike shop in Lander so I figured just make it there on this tire then change the tire with a spare you have!My thoughts were, if it goes on the road then it goes and you got as many miles out of it as possble! So off I went - thinking I'm going to have to change this tire soon and all my spares are buried in the bottom of BoB - gotta love getting all your belongings out on the open highway in the Wyoming wind!

The ride this morning started at around 6:30 and it was "Awesome"!!! No cars and the temperature was perfect for riding. I kept thinking at this point, how can those other cyclist miss out on the perfect time to ride! Thinking about it, you get to ride on the road which is more forgiving on your tires, which I needed at this moment in time. Along with cool temperatures and low wind speeds! I just don't understand somes logic sometimes I guess...

Not much too this section between Jeffery and Lander - it was just shy of 60 miles and a great ride with a long 5-6 mile decent and realitively all downhill. Downhill elevation wise is one thing, with rolling terrain you still have to work so don't think this was easy by any means! The 60 miles did go quick and I was fortunate enought to make into Lander at close to a little after 10 so I did what any hungry cyclist does, find some food! After finding some food and packing in some calories I headed towards the bike shop to change my tire and to look over my rig - Brian and Donna where great! I was able to use all the shops tools and stand to make a quick and easy change! Yup - the tire made it the 60 miles and now I have it as an emergency tire just in case something happens in the future - I did post a photo on FB, so check it out when you get a chance.

Once at the shop and I was getting ready to roll out when the other group of cyclist I saw at SweetWater when I filled bottles rolled in, they needed some major bike repairs as "Jamie" I think needed a front derailer. I'm not sure what I would do without one...I stayed at the shop for a little longer and talked with Donna and ate a milk shake one of the girls from the other group bought me. Hey - I'm not going to turn down free calories! I sure wish I would have remembered there names!
Back on the road as I was close to 65 miles into today's journey and I had another 70 to go! I was close to noon now as I spent way too much time at the shop and eating this morning in Lander. I didn't want to stay long, not because I didn't want to but becuase 70 miles out here is not a 3.5 hour ride as it would be in Kansas or Oklahoma. Out here 70 miles can take all day long depending on the wind and the terrain. I think I mentioned this in another post about everyone having detailed maps and I was winging it. The maps have a topographic profile of the elevation changes which would be nice, however I like the unknown! This is a journey and if I had ever detail that would take the fun out of it. Plus - I force myself to get to know people this way! All those other cyclist who bought these maps are missing out on all the people you get to meet when you have to ask questions! This makes it fun for me and I get to see just how friendly and helpful the "American" is...

It was hot now and I was thinking just stick to the game plan on the nutrition, actually I think this was a smart move! Eating breakfast and a milk shake as I put in another 2K worth of calories on this break and since I new I was going to have a long day, better be fueled! The ride was just like the last couple of days. Long 1-3% climbs then a down hill, a nice false flat, head wind and sunny skies with not a single cloud in the sky! Mind was thinking about working today and how great my legs felt compared to yesterdays ride. I have to give credit to watching the nutrition better today and last night! I had to pee 6-8 times this morning once on the bike so I knew I had drank plenty of water the night before...

Traffic was low on this stretch and I was feeling pretty good - stopped a few times for water and the ice water was tasting pretty good! The roads I have been riding on are pretty much chip sealed with the shoulder showing the old road where they did not chip seal it. I hate riding on roads like this as the shoulder is covered in fresh chips that did not adhear to the road surface when they paved it. I used to be in the road construction industry so I know a few things about roads...Sometimes I wish I didn't though as I know why they put these types of roads down. However you would think on a bike route that the shoulders would be groomed for cyclists...okay wishful thinking!

I stopped again for water on the American Indian Reservation and had a million thoughts going through my mind. One of the gals working there was extremely nice and asked how I ride in this heat? I really haven't noticed it today - when your moving on a bike the cool breeze is nice and you don't feel the heat, its when you stop that sucks or when your climbing up hill and moving like molasses. This stretch had some beautiful scenery as I was getting close to the Wind River. (Its a no brainer on how this river got its name! - the word from the locals is that the average wind speed on a dialy basis in this area is 22 mph!) After the last couple of days I would think its a lot higher then that!

Continue my riding and still really just focusedon the ride today. It was one of those days when your legs feel great! Your quads are firing and not filling with acid - I did notice on some parts of the climbing I was bumping up into the 400+ watts area which is dangerous on a ride this long for me, so I backed it down quickly.

I just lost a few paragraphs of writing - this laptop is finicky sometimes! Saving everyonce in a while so I did not lose the whole thing!

Continuing on down down road 278 to Dubois WY, I hit up a rest stop on the left hand side of the road about 40 miles out from my destination. Fill bottles and take a quick bathroom break. Coming out of the facilities I ran into a really nice lady from Boulder. She mentioned that she tours on her bike as well and was curious on my journey, then she made the mistake asking me if I needed anything. I said - something sweet if you got it! Chocolate doesn't carry well in this heat and I was craving some! We walked over to the picnic table where her and a friend were having lunch. They were great ladies, just up in the area for some camping and R&R - I can't remember their names off the top of my head while write this but I do have it written down in my jersey. The loaded me up with about 1500 calories worth of food! Thanking them and wishing them safe travels before I took off! I would have stayed, however at 2PM and 40 miles to go in this heat and terrain not a chance I was going to get caught out in the middle of the Wyoming highways. (Thank You both for the great conversation and the food, I know it went to good use today! Did you ladies make it to the music in Lander?)

Continuing on my journey I was thinking I'm right at 96 miles, what's the rush to get another 40 in? Well back at the bike shop, Donna mentioned I should go to "Wind River Gear" and talk with Margo as she knows the ins and outs of where to eat in Dubois, along with showers, and a place to camp. The caviate was I needed to get there by 6PM to ensure I get the opportunity to meet Margo and ask my questions.
Crusing now and just enjoying the scenery! This part of the country is amazing from bike, the moutains sometimes take my thoughts away from me and which I truly enjoy, allows me to be in the moment! The pictures I have taken are not even close in representing the beauty of this place!!!

Make a couple more water stops along the way to ensure I was properly hydrated, since I was still going pee on a regular basis I new I was on top of things. I kept thinking the more you stop the longer its going to take! Another part of me really wanted to just pee on the bike, like I do when I'm racing Ironman, however walking up to someone after with no shower available might smell...need I say more?
Still riding and feeling pretty good but can tell I'm fading. 20 miles left and someone turns the wind up 30+ mph right out of no where. So I'm 20 miles out and now have this head wind that is blowing hard! I was committed by this point so no longer how long it was going to take I was bound to hit my goal! I was pretty angry about the wind but thinking back to the bike shop when I was listening to this negative nancy talking about the head winds in Kansas and how he's ready to go home, et cetera. I just wanted to tell this guy, your life sounds pretty cool, what do you have to worry about???

The remaining 20 miles was by far the slowest compared to all my other rides, tough to beat a headwind that was blowing like it was. Ten miles from my destination I see four cyclist and stop to say Hello! All four look tired and ready to crash - after chatting for just a bit I continue on as I want to try and get to Wind River Gear and meet up with Margo so I can get some information on where to go for the night, et cetera. The last seven miles were those miles where you just want to stop and sit, however I didn't! I kept pushing on and it sucked to be honest, I had my ups and downs during this stretch and it was only 7 miles but when the wind is blowing like it was 7 miles can feel like an eternity.

Once in Dubois I rolled up to Wind River Gear - it was now 6:18 and I was late. The store closed at 6 PM, however I didn't let a sign stop me. I knocked on the widnow and Margo opened the door...I explained that Brian told me to come talk to her for where to crash in town, et cetera. She explained there was no free camping in town, but I was more then welcome to crash on here front porch of the shop! I kindly accepted as I thought it was an ideal spot, bathroom across the street, and wi fi right there on the porch to update my where abouts.

Once they finished up closing the store, they envited me to a National Geographic Photo presentation. Again, I kindly accepted. I was a little leary about leaving my things on the porch as when your traveling by bike and all you have is your stuff and your with it 24/7 its tough to walk away afraid I would never see it again. She said, "This is Dubois", trust me lets go". Before we headed to the art gallery we stopped at the local grocery so I could pick up some pasta for dinner. The art gallery was really neat and the photography was amazing! I really enjoy photography myself so I could relate to the angles and the moments in time...I met a lot of people however I can't remember anyones names as everything is a blur. I'm glad I'm recording this now because there is so much going on! Since this was right after my 130+ day I was starving, lucky they had cookies and pink lemonade at the art gallery as I at as many cookies as I could and had a few bottles of sugar water!

Back at the shop I cooked up the pasta I purchased and tapped into the net to upload yesterday's blog. While on the PC I had an interesting chat with my little sister that I will write an essay on as its a complete other story all in itself. Downing the pasta I picked a spot to crash and did so pretty quickly...

No comments: