Saturday, July 31, 2010

Day 18 July 29th, 2010 (Route: Ennis, MT to Jackson, MT)

Day 18 July 29th, 2010 (Route: Ennis, MT to Jackson, MT)

Technical Data
Distance, miles: 120.61
Ride Time: 9:57
Average Power, watts: 169
Normalized Power, watts: 192
Average Speed, mph: 12.02
Work, kJ: 6113

The morning started off just like others except I didn't have my nutrition prepped as usual. I woke in the RV park and ready to bail as again I'm trying my best to conserve on cash. The ride this morning was going to be tough from what I had heard. The climb out of Ennis, MT was supposed to belong and daunting. The couple I meet in the Tetons mentioned it just climbed and climbed so I should be prepared. After packing up BoB I wanted to hit up some breakfast, however I'm out of fuel so I hit the local convenient store for the bargain rack. Score - 50 cents for a Luna Bar and 50 cents for a ButterFinger Crunch (figure I could eat it later on the route!) and they don't have tax on food in this state so I saved a few cents by not having to pay tax.

Once out of Ennis it started to climb and it was one of those climbs that you can see the switch backs and the summit, so you get to think about it the entire time your on it! Running a 25 as my largest cassette I wasn't looking forward to an eleven mile climb to start off the day but no worries. The mountain air was great and Pronghorns were chasing each other, I could tell its getting close to mating season as males were on the move! The climb was what was expected, a lot of low cadence power work, however the ride to the summit was well worth it as the view was spectacular of the Madison Range! I could live here for sure, just not sure what I would do for work!

Many thoughts going through my head at this point in the ride, its early, I'm hungry and thinking about how long the day is going to be on the bike. The sun is shining bright and the winds are low and I'm enjoying the day! The alpenglow was brief and spectactular! Once at the summite I thought about all the ranches in the area and the valley's ecology. Once a great valley for thousands of elk and bison to graze on, was not inhabitated by thousands of humans. The land has been divided by fence after fence to keep the animals from roaming free as they once did? Have we as humans altered the true state of the life here on planet earth for the positive, or have we affected it for the negative? Has all what we have done a selfish act? What was it like when Lewis and Clark first saw this land that was native to the American Indian? Did they think of the naturual beauty of the land or did they think of natural resources and dollar signs like the majority of Americans do today?

Getting back on the bike after the first climb of the day wasn't hard. The landscape ahead of me was just as beautiful as the valley I just left and I was feeling pretty good, strong to be honest, the short rest day seemed to bring back the legs and I was looking to have a fun day! The downhill was fun, however I would really like to unleash the trailer and bomb the downhill but if I did that I would have to climb back for my shelter and food so no unhitching today. Reminded me a lot of the the phrase "Unleash the trailer" we used to say in baseball when one of my buddies would get thrown out at second or just seemed slow running around the bases. Lots of memories coming back on this trip from when I was a young kid playing ball!

Cruising down the road now and really enjoying the beautiful scenery God has to offer! Riding along and a few cyclist pass, then a family of four on a tadem! I loved this when I saw it, two parents pulling a kid spinning on a tag along, then a tow cart for the youngest. I stopped to chat and just enjoy the moment, family of four out on a week trip from Bozeman taking a journey around a loop in beautiful Montana. Talk about a way to experience life as a young kid! Quality time with the family and doing it by way of bike!

Before seeing this family I stopped in Twin Bridges to see the "Bike Camp"! What a deal, a camp site just for cyclist riding cross country. The hook up too, picnic tables enclosed with power outlets, a shower, bathroom, bike washing station, all next to a beautiful river. Very simple what we cyclist need on the road. Shower and a place to crash, and water of course! The shelter was filled with a few magazines and some literature to read while resting before pushing on.

The ride to Twin Bridges was relatively an easy one, just 40 miles in on the journey I still had 80 miles to go and it was relatively early so I was feeling pretty good, not to mention all the great things that I have seen and people I have encountered. Now heading to to Dillon, MT out of Twin Bridges the head wind started to pick up, since I had a good day of rest in Ennis I was feeling pretty good and thought just power through this wind and get to Dillon, enjoy lunch and see if the wind is at your back out of Dillon as I would be heading NW out of Dillon on my way to Jackson, MT. The ride to Dillon was good, a 28 mile stretch full of open space and nothing but large ranches surrouned by mountains! (I love the mountains so much)

Once into Dillon I stopped and refilled right away as it was starting to heat up and I needed plenty of fluids. After downing a few Gu's and lots of water I headed downtown to grab some lunch in a local park. I stopped at an old Rail Depot, lots of shade adn fresh cut fescue, gathered my thoughts and just tok in the moment. Light lunch today, left over peanut butter and what I had left of my mixed nuts from Whole Foods in Colorado Springs.

Tourist approached as many do when your cycling across country and asked "Where's Home?" I had to think about this one for a while as all my stuff is currently in storage and I'm not exactly sure! I told him "Right Here" and just redirected the question asking "How about you?" He was from Arizona, heading North into Canada. He was an older gentlemen, retired I presumed just taking his greyhound out for a walk. Didn't chat much as I was really just interested in eating and getting on the road as still had a long stretch ahead of me.

Rolling out of the depot I head past a park and see a couple touring cyclist and stop in, my rear tire was a little low so I thought I would check it out before I headed on to Jackson. The road to Jackson is pretty bare with no services so I filling up on nutrition and water is a must if your only carrying two bottles as I have for this entire trip. Many I have met, don't see how I do it, however I see it as keeping me motivated to move on the road and and not piddle. The two were from Melborn, Australia, first time to the states and loving there ride! They were very interesting as I got to see the perspective of foreignors of our restaurants here in the states, I think it was there goal to talk all of America in on there journey. Sitting in a park eating chicken from Dairy Queen and a large container of fresh strawberry's. Thier vote for DQ was a big thumbs down they mentioned, I told them if I would have seen you before DQ I would have mentioned that! I told them to try local places if they can as they appear to have more taste in there food.

After looking at my rear tire I stopped in at the National Forest service to refill again before I headed out on this long barron stretch of highway. The gals in the Forest Servies were extremely nice. I like to stop at different places along the way to fill for water because convenient stores get a little dull, covenience stores are full of people in a hurry and typically not as nice as you get when you go into a place of business. Maybe because at a place of business workers are willing to take a few minutes out of their day.

Heading to Jackson, MT and two passes to climb before a nice little decent into Jackson. I was feeling pretty good at this point, however the head winds were now picking up and have changed direction. I have found out this trip that the end of the day is going to take a lot of work as I can never finish with a tail wind. You cross a path or change direction and sure enough the gusty wind is blowing directly into your face.

Destination Jackson, MT and no other spot to stop as I'm in open country with little water. Once committed to this stretch there is truly no turning back and I was up to the challenge! I love challenging myself with these types of challenges! 40 miles to go with 80 miles in and see what I'm made of. Two passes to climb and the first one was tougher than the second, long stretch of open road with no trees to block the wind. The horses graze in the open spaces, while I'm swatting at horse flys.

Once up the first pass I was starting to feel mentally drained. Only able to average 10 miles an hour if that I was feeling like I wasn't going anywhere fast! The thoughts that run through your head when your going this slow really takes you out of the moment, thoughts of frustration, of quitting, of resting, of what the hell am I doing again? Wind can be fun at times however not as fun as a still day or riding cross wind, or even the luxery of riding with a tail wind! Out of Twin Bridges I was looking forward to the head wind, now I was cursing it! Slight up hill and a nice head wind can mentally break about anyone, tired and hot with 90 miles in their legs. I kept going though, I had to mentally coach myself through this section as I needed to get to Jackson for water. I had all kinds of motivators running through my head now and kept talking myself "Just keeping moving and you'll be there in no time at all" Sure enough the passes were covered and the downhill in to the little Oasis of Jackson, MT was well worth it.

Today was the toughest day yet, I had burned over 6K worth of energy and I was exhausted from the heat! 10 hours on the bike and I kept thinking, works not over, now you need to finish your blog, refuel for tomorrows 130 mile day and get to bed. I think I have worked more on this trip than I have any place in the corporate world. Funny how much work I'm doing, however I'm enjoying almost every minute of it, okay there are times when the wind says otherwise.

To the grocery I go to start refueling for the day. Chocolate milk in the 1/2 gallon and some snacks...then to the computer and chat with some folks and to bed. I'm exhausted so writing more would keep me from sleeping...

No comments: