Saturday, July 31, 2010

Day 19, July 30th, 2010 (Route: Jackson, MT to Hamilton, MT)

Day 19, July 30th, 2010 (Route: Jackson, MT to Hamilton, MT)

Technical Data

Distance, mile: 93.14
Ride Time: 6:09:53
Work, kJ: 3242
Average Power, watts: 145
Normalized Power, watts: 164
Average Speed, mph: 15.02

Day Summary - Clear and no wind to start, once over the pass a head wind of 30+...

5:30AM pick up camp, grab a quick shower at the lodge, hope on the bike and get out of Dodge. I took the shower to warm up as its colder at the higher elevations. I wanted to have a killer day today, was shooting for close to 140 miles or so to Missoula, MT. Rolling now and wishing I had knee warmers and gloves as I'm freezing my fingers off! I have a slight head wind and heading down hill into Wisdom, MT. Along this stretch the hawks were hunting for breakfast, saw a few dive into the bush for some type of rodent. About half way to Wisdom, a random hawk was circling me and making some screeching noises and this went on for about 10 minutes. I had no idea what was going on, however it was rather interesting!

Once into Wisdom, MT I planned on making my hammer nutrition bottles up and getting on the road, however the convenient store was closed, arrived a little too early. I made the 18 mile gab in 54 minutes or so this morning, its riding pretty good pulling 50 lbs! Since the store was closed I headed over to the local cafe that was open and looked at the menu, thought if pancakes were cheap I would go for it. 4.50 for some pretty good sized cakes so I went for it. Went outside to grab my sustained and mix it up. When I came back into the store I met a sweet couple from LA - Carl and Cookie. They asked me to join them for breakfast and tell them more about my journeys and my plans on riding across country, couldn't resist! They were great - Carl a successful business man from LA and his wife the ocean swimmer were great company this early in the morning. Cookie mentioned she had just swam the channel between Alkatraz and San Fran. After having a great conversation with Carl and Cookie. Cookie mentioned I should stop in LA on my way to San Diego to go to a club. Well, Cookie if your reading this I'm going to hold you to it! (I'll email you in a couple weeks to let you know when I plan on being in the area) - (Carl and Cookie - Thank you again for breakfast too, you didn't have too)

Rolling out of Wisdom, heading to the last pass before a long decent into Missoula was great, no wind and the roads were like glass! I loved this section, climbed and looked for wildlife the entire time as I didn't really want to push on a full stomach of pancakes! Once up the pass I saw Jordan (18 year old cyclist heading to Florence, CA then off to Yosemite, CA to hike before he heads off to school in CA). Jordan had stayed at the lodge last night too, he had passed me when I was enjoying great conversation and breakfast with Carl and Cookie. We decided to descend together. The decent was great, nice and fast and smooth....

Once into the foothills off this decent I started to feel the wind starting to pick up and I knew that my legs wouldn't have the energy to get me to Missoula today so I went with my second plan of crashing with Terry from www.warmshowers.com. I was about 20 miles out when I called and made plans to crash in her backyard! The next 20 was like yesterday, just trying to get to the final destination, which was now Hamilton as the head winds were eating me up mentally after yesterday. Mind was really blank during this section as I was not having fun, however I knew that I had what it took to get to Hamilton, then set up camp and shower and get ready for a nice relaxed afternoon, which was needed after a 120 mile day into the wind.

Once to Terry's it was great from the beginning to the end. Hosting cyclist now because her sone took the trip last year and she loved the fact off all the people that helped him on his journey. She now has been hosting for a year and half and loves it! It's nice to see familys open there homes to those traveling cross country, shower and a place to camp out is really very simple however it means so much to tired hungry cyclist. Thank you Terry for everything!!!!!

Okay - its late and I'm tired. I've noticed my writing has gone down the last couple days. Let me explain - when you meet up with other cyclist your time starts to get spent doing other things versus just blogging, so as I meet these great folks out on the road I'll have to add additons to my post when time allots!

Off to bed - short day tomorrow up to Missoula and then to Lolo, MT before I head into Idaho for my baked potatoe!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, I have not written before because Kay was keeping me up to date. I read most of your posts and feel caught up with your travels. I am thinking of you and praying each day that you have good weather, good health and good experiences.

AJ and I go for a walk every morning at 5 a.m., including the weekends. He won't let me sleep in on Saturday and Sunday, so we just keep the routine. It has been way too hot to walk in the afternoons, today it is 104 degrees! I wait until the sun is almost down in the evening, but we don't always get a chance.

I talk about your trip to many people, and you are an inspiration to many who are afraid to even take a trip across town, let alone across the country. What you are doing takes a special person, and you are he. God will provide for you in your needs (incase you didn't notice).

AJ says "bark, bark, bark!"