Friday, July 16, 2010

Day Four: July 15th, 2010 (Route - Lyons, KS to Dighton, KS)

Day Four: July 15th 2010 (Route - Lyons, KS to Dighton, KS)
Technical Data:
Distance, miles: 129.4
Time: 7:43:00
Work, KJ: 4890
Average Power, watts: 174
Normalized Power, watts: 189
Average Speed, mph: 16.59

Sunny, slight breeze out of the North today. Temps in the low 90's.

Last night was a rough night to be honest. Staying at the rental was a great idea however it was extremely hot in this little one bedroom run down rental house. I often wonder how these places can stay up to building code to be honest. I wrote last night about taking a shower but I failed to mention the floor to this shower felt like it was going to cave in, as if the flooring was all rotted out due to water damage. I could go on and on about this hole in the wall but I think I'll save my energy for a more positive note!

The night was a rough one because the storms outside were crazy! The lightning and thunder went on throughout the night and I didn't think when I woke I was going to be able to ride. I attempted to sleep on the bed in this hole in the all with my sleeping pad underneath me but there was no air circulating so I decided to sleep in the front room that had a ceiling fan. I slept right next to the front door with it propped open to get some air in as it was way too hot try and sleep in this place without some air! No windows would open as they were all painted shut, hence no air!!! I dreamt alot last night, most of the dreams I cannot remember and those I can its very vague so I'll save my dreams for another post as sometimes they are interesting!

With no phone to wake me up I was going on feel, when I woke it was not a welcome wake up as I was tired from the heat the day before! I told myself I have to get moving or its going to be a repeat of yesterday so I got up. Being the forth day in and having close to 330 miles in my system and sleeping on the floor did not make for a happy Uncle Map this morning. (I've decided I'm going to go by Uncle Map this journey as its fitting, thank you little Emmy) Did the normal routine this morning then I rolled out - the rain had stopped so I was ready to rock this morning! After the first 20 miles I stopped for water as I wasn't sure what the weather was going to be like today - just wanted to make sure!

Another ten miles and I would be in Great Bend - where the so called Sprint store would be and I could get a new phone. Well I neglected to look at the Sprint.com site to see if there was a dealer in Great Bend before leaving the hotel with free wi fi. My luck has it that there isn't a Sprint dealer until I get to Colorado Springs, Co so I'll be without a phone until then, which is okay as I really don't have anyone to call at the moment for lunch! So I rolled out of Great Bend as fast as I had rolled in. The highways were very similar to the roads east of Lyons, KS but with a lot less truck traffic which was good because mentally I was having some difficulties with all those gas trucks!

My mind by now was a little concerned about the residual fatigue building up from the last three days, especially with the heat from yesterday. The legs took a good 30-40 miles this morning to really flush the cobwebs out. Between the miles of 50-60 I really started to feel good and kept thinking if you keep on your nutrition and hydration its going to be a great day of cycling! I was riding today, not touring or just seeing the sights. Today I wanted to go for a bike ride - a bike ride for me is when you can feel some speed with long sustained efforts that just feel good! I made sure not to give any major power spikes and keep it endurance but I just wanted to ride today, just felt good!

I made a few stops for water and to use the bathroom along the way. Before I new it I looked down and I had traveled 97 miles and was now in Ness City, KS. This was my destination for the night however it was extremely early even with the 6:30-6:45 departure. So I stopped in at the public library to get out of the mild heat of the day and use their wi fi. I uploaded my thoughts from the night before and checked some email and just relaxed and talked with the librarians. After enjoying the air for a little while I decided I was going to try and get another 20-30 miles in given the next store has a grocery store. Dighton, KS according to the ladies at the library would be then next town to the west with a grocery store and park I could camp in so I rolled out...

The weather continued to be perfect, sunny with huge fluffy clouds that could pass as huge popcorn in the sky - I think I was getting hungry when I made that thought on the bike! I rolled on to Dighton and "BANG" a flat - the rear on the Trek had gone. I'm pretty quick at changing flats however BoB had to be unleashed and the spare tubes were deep in Bob's belly so I new this was going to take some time. I was on a time table now though because grocery stores in small towns like these close at 6 or 7 in the evening so I had to boogie! Pretty quick change, I had to go to a different tire I brought as this one was shot. I knew it would go on this trip, I didn't think this early though but then again 400+ miles by now and the heat yesterday didn't help. Change with an old patched tube, after airing it up it blew too so I'll have to fix that one at the next camp site, well both of them. I went to a new tube and all was good! 20 miles to go to Dighton and I was cruising when I noticed the back end was whobbling a little and the rear now had a slow leak. My mind was in the "out house" now if you now what I mean! I brought 5 extra tubes and now I'm down to three and the next bike shop isn't until Colorado Springs which is 200 miles a way - Tom's Bike Patches are going to have to make sure I get there!!! I did bring my floor pump on this journey as it attaches nicely to BoB's belly. Since it was a slow flat I decided to ride it and refill with air every 2.5-3.5 miles - yes I was timing the slow leak! Lets not forget I was racing now to get to the grocery store, the ladies back at the library thought it closes at 6 so I was on a tight schedule. After refilling the tube 5 times making sure not to get a pinch flat I rolled into Dighton on just enough air - it was 6:15 and I was in a frantic as I was starving and was craving some Chocolate Milk (also good recovery drink while on the road). I pass some locals and ask where the grocery is and they tell me and I was in luck as the store was open till 7PM!

After downing a 1/2 gallon of chocolate milk I headed to the park to setup camp and start writing on my blog. I thought about going for the gallon challenge after this ride as 130 did call for a little celebrtaion. I sit here now listening to the doves and at the moment wondering when their going to leave as its loud and I'm kinda of cranky! For those who don't know me very well there are three things I need to ensure I'm not cranky, they are as follows:

1. Exercise
2. Food
3. Sleep

Pretty simple, however I was good on the first two but lacking on the 3rd as last night was a night of tossing and turning and I'm sure I could use some calories too! I guess being on the bike for 7+ hours today could have something to do with it too, however I'm pretty sure its #3. I'm getting plenty of sleep, just not the highest quality of sleep and I'm actually enjoying passing out at night because I'm so tired. When I don't workout even at home I don't sleep very well, so exercise helps me sleep!

I did have lots of thoughts on my mind today and lets see if I can recall them! The first ones that come to mind are my favorite lines in movies - I think of everything when on the bike - I mean everything!!!

I was thinking of my favorite lines in movies today while on the bike and wondering what the readers out there have as their favorites too!?!? Listed below are a few I was thinking of today:

1. Batman Returns (Scene where Bruce falls in the well and his father picks him up and asked him why we fall - I also really like when he escapes the world he knows and lives with the thiefs to experience life!)
2. GoodWill Hunting (Do you like Apples - and I gotta go see about a girl!)
3. Peacefull Warrior (The whole movie - if you have not seen this get to the library and check it out!!!!!)
4. Gladiator (Maximus standing in the coliseum telling the emporer his name)
5. Hitch (The scene when he jumps on the Mini Cooper and is fallin')
6. Incredibles (Need I say which scene - lol Great movie!)
7. Goonies (One of my all time favorites - Truffle Shuffle and the older brother on the girls bike - 'o and when Chunk's hands in the blender)
8. We Are Marshall - (so many moments in this one)

Those are just a few I was thinking of today while spinning the cranks! Other things I was thinking of were songs - I love music (Thanks to my Mom and Sister!!!) Both are extremely musically gifted - I on the other hand know how to push play on my Ipod and that's about it! lol I'll to save this for another post for when I have wi fi so I can share some with my readers and put the songs strategically placed in my thoughts - I think this will be fun for all! I really wish I had some tunes right now to listen too - I'm doing this journey with no headphones - couple reasons - one I don't need any more items to charge and the most important, riding on the highway rockin' out to my favorite music with trucks flying by at 70+ miles an hour doesn't sound appealing to me!

I pass a lot of road kill on my bike over the years. Today was the first time I had scene a mallard along the road side. As fowl are with there partners for the rest of their lives I wondered about the female and where she had gone off too! Who's there for her when this happens? Does she return to the singles duck pond and hook up with eligible ducks or does she commit a Romeo & Juliet scenario? Just curious as this made me think a lot about the elderly and how its going to feel when my spouse dies or I die before her? What is she going to do? Who's going to take care of her or me?

I think these are some things we truly need to consider as there are so many elderly that are so lonely. When I was living in Florida I saw it, this made me extremely sad as I know the feelings of being lonely and I don't wish this for anyone exspecially someone who has been with another for years. I'm sure that when you get older things change but when you love someone its painful to see them go! I guess what I'm elluding to is the next time you see someone that is older than you, give them the utmost respect and ask them how they are doing! You know they are just like us with tons of knowledge built up, respect the experience and learn from it. One day you will be walking around with a walker potentially and need help and want someone to talk too!

I'm sitting here at this park and I took a moment to just be and I looked to my 3 o'clock and watched an olderly women with a walker heading to the house and was thinking who does she do it? She's probably taking a stand and living on her own because she doesn't want to be in a retirement home - I know I don't want to when I get older unless I don't have a choice! However she's not doing it on her own, there are people supporting her for sure, her yard appears nice and manicured from what I can see and she must get help with groceries and cooking - I'm speculating but its nice to do so every once in a while. The moral of my thoughts are that she's loved and that is what other humans should do for others in need! Just love 'em and give them attention, you'll be surprised how this can affect your life and those you help!

I get on these random topics sometimes so I hope I didn't lose ya!

Before I headed out on this journey I was thinking of questions to ask those I come across to ask and document their answers. Questions I was thinking of were as follows:

1. Why do you live where you live?
2. What brings you happiness?
3. If you could move would you?
4. What's more important to you, time or money?
5. If you were on your death bed and someone asked you what you wanted more out of life, how would you answer?

I have yet to ask anyone this as when I see someone I never recall the questions...So I'll ask my audience - how would you answer the 5 questions?

The answer for the question #5 for me is more "Time" - I know that a lot of people may think I have all the time in the world right now, however when it comes my time all I will ask for is more! The world is such a large place and to experience it we need a lot of time! Time to spend with friends and family during the holidays and just daily. Watching kids grow up when we have to be at work.

I looked up and noticed the sprinklers have been going on for the last hour and a half and I stopped to listen - then remembered this is one of Captains favorite sounds! Ah the peace I am experiencing on this trip is something else...

One other thought before I get back to my "Time" answer - when I was changing the tire out on hwy 96 westbound I was truly in one of the most peaceful settins I have ever been in! I stopped what I was doing and look 360 degrees and listened, took in a deep breath and smelled. I couldn't hear anything!!! No electrons flowing through lines, no cars, no trucks, no one talking - true silence! I have a feeling the stars tonight are going to give me the same feeling!!!

Time is a valuable commodity that should not be taken lightly! When you're with someone put the damn phone away (I'm just as guilty and I'm not pointing fingers) be in the moment, don't worry about what else is going on or what someone else is doing! Enjoy the company you have at the moment, you might miss something if you don't! Its about the quality time, not the quantity!!!!!

Okay I really need to get - the sun is going down and riding those couple extra hours today really but me behind schedule on some chores I have so I'm going to leave you with this!

Your smile is your greatest social asset, use it as ofent as you can! (author - unknown)

Extremely long day at the office!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Matt, so glad you made the grocery store on time! After you left I remembered that Dighton has a Quick Shop, too! I enjoyed your blog and will try and check on you every few days. Travel safe and thanks for popping into my library and my life! Time is also my vote! Money can only buy you monitary things and time can give you memories & enjoyment spent with family, friends, and even strangers who are only there for a short time, but add so much to your life, thanks! Jean Schlegel, Ness City Librarain

mcarnal said...

Jean - It was a pleasure meeting you and thanks for tuning into the blog! I agree on the Time and Money - I'm trying to make this trip happen on nothing - well what's provided by family and friends as you are correct the time spent in these moment outweigh all monetary wants and desires!

Godspeed and keep cool in Ness City - if I could afford it I would plant a Million Trees around that little city so provide shade! Okay just along the road as its hot out here and I know we still need all that beautiful farm land to help feed out country!

Hope you enjoy the blogs and I'll keep 'em coming!

Godspeed...

Missy said...

Hey, did you get to see Madi's big girl bike before you left? She rode it down to the pool yesterday, while wearing her Little Mermaid swimsuit and flip flops. Just thought you might like to hear about her first bike ride! Oh, and it even has a hand break and she uses it!!

mcarnal said...

Missy - I did, Nathan mentioned it before I left! That is awesome she's commuting to the pool!

Also, let her know we will go on a ride when I get back!!! :)